Newbie incubator/hatcher questions

Pics
Well I removed the egg above and cracked it open, it was a day 2/3 egg and it showed no development not even day one development and as slight off smell, so I'm going to say infertile? Took out my hairline cracked pekin egg as it had green colour on its shell tried to wipe it off and did not come off (attached photo) not worth risking at that point and removed it cracked that one open as well slight smell to this one as well and just like the one above no development for day 2/3 not even day 1 development so quite sad but I know some eggs won't be fertile but if both lots are infertile in going to say there is no make our a very old male running with the hens who can't do the job.

As for the first lot of Brahma eggs I finally decided just to remove it and not risk a egg bomb. Cracked it open slight smell to like the others no blood vessels or embryo development just a large white/grey spot I'm assuming it is what the blastoderm was as it was just separated in a few parts. Any ideas why that would happen? Ment to take pics but my laying girls were flocking around me demanding treats.

Plus side all my other eggs are ok thought one was a quitter but I'm glad hubby stopped me from tossing it out as it was still kicking but I'm keeping my eye on it you know just in case.
These were shipped eggs, right?

Yes all my eggs were shipped asked my hubby auntie who has hatched chickens and such told me to pull them and crack them she said both my newer lots might be duds
Shipped eggs can be so damaged on the cellular level that even fertile eggs will fail to develop. I also read a piece that stated you could not look for the blastoderm (bullseye) after incubation because a fertile blastoderm that does not develop breaks down during incubation. I wanted to research that further, but have never been able to find any reliable info on it.

Shipped eggs can be so damaged on the cellular level that even fertile eggs will fail to develop. I also read a piece that stated you could not look for the blastoderm (bullseye) after incubation because a fertile blastoderm that does not develop breaks down during incubation. I wanted to research that further, but have never been able to find any reliable info on it.
That is what I was wondering. My first seller packaged the eggs brilliantly so 1 egg out of 8 having a issue to me is good. But the other 2 not even developing worries me plus these sellers for the newer lots shipped them in just the poly foam egg box the pekin eggs I ordered have small air cells but the newer Brahma eggs have quite large air cells could that mean they are not as fresh as the seller claimed?

That is what I was wondering. My first seller packaged the eggs brilliantly so 1 egg out of 8 having a issue to me is good. But the other 2 not even developing worries me plus these sellers for the newer lots shipped them in just the poly foam egg box the pekin eggs I ordered have small air cells but the newer Brahma eggs have quite large air cells could that mean they are not as fresh as the seller claimed?

Either older than they claim or stored in very poor/dry conditions.

Well after the 21days is up with the new batch of eggs I'll leave feed back. While I understand they can't guarantee hatch rates and that I think you can guarantee fertility to a extant by making sure your hens are running with a male that can do the job and you can better pack eggs then the last sellers did. Definitely will not be buying from them again plus they over charged shipping and they just shipped the eggs in the foam boxes

Just the shipping practices alone would make me stay away...

Well after the 21days is up with the new batch of eggs I'll leave feed back. While I understand they can't guarantee hatch rates and that I think you can guarantee fertility to a extant by making sure your hens are running with a male that can do the job and you can better pack eggs then the last sellers did. Definitely will not be buying from them again plus they over charged shipping and they just shipped the eggs in the foam boxes

Just the shipping practices alone would make me stay away...
I'll sadly be leaving them a negative review. If they are going to be charging the price close to my first seller who packed the foam egg box inside another box then they need to put it in another box and not offer to bubble wrap the thing next time I buy from them which will be never. Now I just hope I get a few chicks out of each new lot which is now 5 eggs of each pekin and lemon Brahma.

20170530_151843-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom