Newbie Intro

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Goob80, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Goob80

Goob80 Just Hatched

Nov 23, 2014
    Hi. I've read info on here for the last couple of years but have just joined. We have had three chickens for a couple of years but in the last 6 months we have become chicken crazy. We now have a few different breeds and see our chickens as part of the family. I've posted a question under 'Raising Baby Chicks' asking if our new Polish chick is sick or just settling in. I have already got replies and some good info from Mountain Peeps.

1 person likes this.
  2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining and we are all chicken crazy. Beware of "chicken math." Very few BYC members are immune to it. :eek:) I'm glad Mountain Peeps was able to help you. She has provided a lot of us with valuable information and advice. We are fortunate to have members like her here at BYC. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your new Polish chick.

2 people like this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens, so glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock and had such a good start here. I agree @Mountain Peeps is a great member and we're very happy to have her here. Good luck with your chick and enjoy the site!

2 people like this.
  5. Goob80

Goob80 Just Hatched

Nov 23, 2014
    Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, we lost our little Polish tonight. It's upsetting for us but she went quickly and peacefully and seemingly painlessly.

Michael OShay, what is 'chicken math'?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm so sorry [​IMG] I'm not Michael, but "chicken math" is basically a lot of adding up and multiplying... of chickens. To give you an example, I started with 4 chickens and a year later I had 70 chickens. Another year later and I had over 100 chickens. More recently, I moved 5 months ago with 7 chickens and with the help of my two broody hens and an incubator I've somehow managed to multiply and add them up to... 30 chickens... yes, that's right, I have 30 chickens now and the broody is sitting on 8 eggs, so that's going to go UP again soon... That's chicken math [​IMG]

Edited to add: it's the only kind of math I'm any good at.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Welcome to BYC. Sorry for your loss. I hope your other chickens are doing well.

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you joined us.

1 person likes this.
  9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Oh, I am so sorry you lost your baby. [​IMG] I know how hard it is to lose them. I hope your heavy heart can heal soon.

1 person likes this.
  10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by