1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pelicanchook, Jun 11, 2011.

1. pelicanchook

pelicanchook New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    Yes, I'm relatively new to chickens - visited my daughter and son-in-law in Pasadena last year, who have chickens, and that absolutely fired me to get my own. My four ladies, (cross breeds, nothing fancy here) are called Henrietta, Ruby, Henny Panny and Sunday Roast. We all live on the banks of the River Murray in rural South Australia, and are enjoying the end of a 10 yr drought, with high water for the first time in years. I use Nite Guards on my enclosure, to keep my girls safe at night, but during the day they forage through the bush. They are the best waste management scheme I have ever encountered, and give me eggs in return! Looking forward to talking to other chicken minded people.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    [​IMG]
    I wonder if Sunday Roast is nervous about her name [​IMG]
    I would love to see some pics. I like mixed breeds, you get some lovely birds sometimes out of it.

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Glad to have you on BYC, [​IMG]

If water is a conern due to drought, or if it might come back I guess - we have waterers that are more efficient than typical waterers at www.beaktime.com/water.php

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. HatchingFever

HatchingFever Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Welcome From Sunny San Dieago CA [​IMG]

6. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

7. pelicanchook

pelicanchook New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    I don't think she is bothered by her name - she is never going to end up as Sunday roast, anyway. But I reckoned that if Nicole Kidman could call her child Sunday Rose, I could tweak it slightly for my chook. She is one of the bullies of the flock, so she is certainly not one of the "Sunday's child is full of grace" type. I just love watching their characters and personalities develop - you could never call chickens stupid!!

8. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the forum.

9. kidsgrowngotchicks

kidsgrowngotchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    hello everyone, very new at this. chicks are 5 weeks old and just went to the coup last night. last night and tonight i had to show them how to get back into the coup. My son said it like learning to walk. they will go in themselves someday....lol.....we have 6 and only have three names so far,....Gosa (don't ask), stuffed and bbq....my husband named the latter two!

10. Deweydoodledo

Deweydoodledo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Puyallup Valley
    Quote:[​IMG] I'm a new egg too, and just love it:weee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by