Newbie jumps in

josh117

Chirping
May 5, 2017
I built our coop and run over the past month, and our 4 girls arrived two weeks ago. The coop is 4'x4' and the run is 4' x 14'. The kids are absolutely enamored with our new pets. Though a lice and/ or flea outbreak has quash the enthusiasm a bit! Added some DE and wood ash to their dusting area - hopefully that helps along with Poultry Protector spray. The Buff and the Barred rock are the friendliest!
Buff Orpington - Princess Layer
Plym. Barred Rock - Henrietta
Gold-laced Wyandotte - Rosie
Silver-laced Wyandotte - Prudence​
We hope to have eggs by August. But until then, we're enjoying learning how to care for the girls. Thanks for all the great ideas posted here on BYC. Especially the poop board with PDZ, and the ADOR1 automatic chicken door. Both are marvels of engineering!
20170614_092611.jpg
20170614_110227.jpg 20170614_110248.jpg 20170622_155732.jpg

Last year I got three new chicks and they had bad case of lice. Luckily, we practice quarantine for all 'newbies' and only had to treat the three. We threw out the bedding, bleach-cleaned the brooder box and did a pyrethrin dip. We redid the dip once every three weeks & each time threw out the bedding and bleach cleaned the brooder box.

My established flock never got the lice.

I also privately got a hold of the breeder to let her know about the lice outbreak. At first she didn't believe me but I patiently sent her pictures and felt obligated to tell her so she could treat her own flock. It wasn't until a few weeks later she sent me a message extremely apologetic and she finally found it on her flock... Her whole flock had it but it can be more difficult to spot on older hens and roos.

Back
Top Bottom