Newbie - Looking to fix up old coop and add run

1. If you can afford to cover the run, it's certainly good protection from the weather and from predators.

2. Unless the coop is facing into predominant winds or you get prolonged freezes, I wouldn't worry about too much ventilation there.

3. Up to you. Personally I'd feel safer with a door, just as an extra level of protection. But if you feel confident in the security of the run no reason that you must have a door.

4. 8-10 birds could use 3 nest boxes. Measure your boxes and see what you're working with. 12"x12" is pretty standard for standard hens, though I personally like having them a bit larger.

5. I'm not keen on chemicals or powerwashing. Getting wood wet is something to be avoided, if you can help it. Since it's been sitting for a long time, I'd just give it a good sweep out, maybe a new coat of paint, and call it a day as far as cleaning.

I'm imagining all the rain we get here and how bad it would smell and how mucky it would be if I didn't cover the run.... Thinking that they would not enjoy being cooped up literally on the nasty weather days.

My run for the in-town coop was partially covered and partially open. Deep litter doesn't get mucky and smelly because the materials provide excellent drainage and the composting action eats up the odor.

Chickens don't have to be cooped up in wet weather. Give them free access to both shelter and open space so they can choose how wet they feel like being at any given moment. Mine almost never stayed inside.

Of course the run shouldn't be in a low spot that collects water so any drainage problems should be corrected as a top priority. But you can also give them some blocks, logs, or intact straw bales to sit on -- clutter in the run is good for chicken entertainment and social dynamics anyway. :)

That's interesting, I didn't realize that they might not mind getting a little wet sometimes. I will need to look into deep litter for the run. And yes I'll make sure the run location isn't in a low spot.

Thanks for such great advice everyone!

Looks like a great project, nice structure to start with.
You've gotten lots of good advice....I may repeat some.
Nests may be fine, a fake egg in each nest will help 'spread the love'.
Roosts are weird, diameter is too small. One 'rule of thumb' that's pretty solid is that roosts should be higher than nests, so they don't sleep in nests.
Is the roof water tight?
Is there a floor or just the 'ground'?
Good examples of anti-dig apron installation.
If rodents are prolific, burying the apron ~12" would be good.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

So yes I don't think those roosts will remain. Plan is to put in a real door, cover the "windows" with hardware cloth and maybe some hinged covers that I could put down in bad weather. Will have to check on the roof itself. Floor is just the ground right now, but might be able to use some wood pallets or scrap wood to build a floor so that I could put something a bit easier to clean down.

Thanks!

Will have to check on the roof itself.
I would think that with all the rain you've had down there, and leaks would be showing up on the floor as damp spots.

Floor is just the ground right now, but might be able to use some wood pallets or scrap wood to build a floor so that I could put something a bit easier to clean down.
..or you could do deep litter.
Adding floor make sure you add the aprons to keep rodents from finding their way under it.

So yes I don't think those roosts will remain. Plan is to put in a real door, cover the "windows" with hardware cloth and maybe some hinged covers that I could put down in bad weather. Will have to check on the roof itself. Floor is just the ground right now, but might be able to use some wood pallets or scrap wood to build a floor so that I could put something a bit easier to clean down.

Thanks!
That sounds like fun (I'm a builder). I have inserts that go into my coop for winter i have 3 walls of screen

Attachments

• 20200603_075646.jpg
    20200603_075646.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200603_075630.jpg
    20200603_075630.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
That sounds like fun (I'm a builder). I have inserts that go into my coop for winter i have 3 walls of screen

Oh, wow, that's cool! I'm glad to know someone else out there has a coop that is more open/exposed (obviously predator-proof). All the coops I tend to see are completely enclosed.

Oh, wow, that's cool! I'm glad to know someone else out there has a coop that is more open/exposed (obviously predator-proof). All the coops I tend to see are completely enclosed.
I used to have one that was totally closed but it was so hot in the summer my chickens wouldn't even go in to roost and it wouldn't dry so I came up with the coop i have now and built it myself my husband has breathing issues so he is limited on how much he can help me so he sits and talks to me and drinks beer and if I absolutely need help he will help me

Back
Top Bottom