Newbie mallard duckling mom-Need guidance!

Good job that you saved them. You obviously tried to go through the correct channels. And people have been way overreacting. But, a quick sentence at the beginning of your question explaining how you came to have wild duck eggs in your possession would have helped stop people from getting up in arms. As it is, your first post made you look like kind of inept. (Sorry :oops:)
Edit: Inept is not the word I was looking for. Too strong. Really sorry 😬)
Probably inexperienced? In which case, I totally agree. I’ve certainly learned a great deal tho! I consciously said “wild” in case they required different care than domesticated, such as would they fly away if given the opportunity when older? But I thought the sentence explaining they were abandoned in my yard after a possum attack would’ve been enough. Guess not.
I don’t know what else I was supposed to do tho short of leaving them there. As I asked in another post, are these people suggesting I should‘ve just them to die? Yes I took a risk removing them, but this was after careful consideration of how much time had passed, the weather, and consultations with a rehabber. In the end, she never came back, so looks like it was the right decision.

Last edited:
“Inexperienced “ ah, yes, thank you! :D

! I consciously said “wild” in case they required different care than domesticated, such as would they fly away if given the opportunity when older?
You are right, wild animals have different instincts than domesticated ones. Especially if they are a prey species. It’s funny though, because one time a Tractor Supply employee told me that some people prefer raising mallard ducklings because they will up and fly away in the fall when it’s time to migrate, thus saving them the hassle of housing the birds over winter. I don’t know how true that was, but I thought it was a unique perspective.
, are these people suggesting I should‘ve just them to die?
I do believe that is what our government would prefer you do. 🤷🏼‍♀️

But people probably jumped all over you because they would have you turn them over to the proper authorities. I don’t think they realize that access to those authorities isn’t always possible.

“Inexperienced “ ah, yes, thank you! :D

You are right, wild animals have different instincts than domesticated ones. Especially if they are a prey species. It’s funny though, because one time a Tractor Supply employee told me that some people prefer raising mallard ducklings because they will up and fly away in the fall when it’s time to migrate, thus saving them the hassle of housing the birds over winter. I don’t know how true that was, but I thought it was a unique perspective.
I do believe that is what our government would prefer you do. 🤷🏼‍♀️

But people probably jumped all over you because they would have you turn them over to the proper authorities. I don’t think they realize that access to those authorities isn’t always possible.
I tried for two days. It really seemed no one was, 1) even answering & 2) concerned about mallards in the midst of a pandemic. Quite frustrating actually.

Hey I just wanted to tell you that I admire you being willing to take on orphaned ducklings. I have raised chicks before and they are a lot of work. I would think ducklings would be even more. I also appreciate you trying everything that you could to hatch the eggs "legally". I 100 percent agree with you: there is no point of them being left to die or being a possums dinner. I really dont have any advice but I just wanted to let you know that because other people seem to think you need dragged off to jail. Good luck!!!

Sounds like a good setup! I totally agree about saving them. You did the right thing for the situation. Some people just don't really understand that we too are a part of nature, and in this case you're helping them when they otherwise would have died.
I would love to see some pictures of the little ones!

“some people prefer raising mallard ducklings because they will up and fly away in the fall when it’s time to migrate, thus saving them the hassle of housing the birds over winter."
I was wondering this, after reading about an incident where a family raising mallards lost half their flock when they just up & flew away to join another flock passing by overhead & all they could do was just watch as they flew away. If these fellas choose to take that route when they're older I'm not stopping them of course. I'd be overjoyed if they "found their kind"...well, half-heartedly & bittersweetly anyway.

Back
Top Bottom