newbie need help making first incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chick-anmoma, Dec 12, 2013.

1. chick-anmoma

chick-anmoma New Egg

Dec 9, 2013
    I know that there are many post that cover this subject!!! but my head spinning

I have all the parts needed to make an incubator except

Egg turner - electric - and this is where it get tricky for me

how to make the rotisserie work as a turner and the wiring instructions for fans, light and thermostat

1. A Box
    2. A light that produces heat ex: 25 Watt bulb
    3. A fan to circulate heat have fan blowing over heat source (got 2 computer fans)
    4. A worm wiggle (planning on using a gel ice pack . . of course not frozen)
    5. A water source - any container will do ex..frozen dinner tray
    6. A thermostat - picked up on from Lowe's (hot water tank thermostat)
    7. A rack - anything to raise the trays away from bottom and water source
    8. tubing to add water as needed
    9. A few holes in opposite site for fresh air to circulate
    10. A tray to hold the eggs
    11. plexy glass
    12. A divider to keep light off eggs

So for the only things I have had to but is the plexy glass, thermometer, hygrometer and thermostat.

Any and All advice or direction is greatly appreciated

2. bahamabanty

bahamabanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    I would get a good cooler instead of a cartboard box. I used a cheap styrofoam incubator
    but it was VERY hard to keep the temperature steady, I woke up plenty mornings where the temperature was way off from what I had left it that night. My second hatch I will use an old coleman cooler from a yard sale or something, something with better insulation. I would really want a nice brinsea but I dont have the money, once I order it and bring it in, with duty and customs it will cost twice as much for the cheapest brinsea.

Also a cheap dimmer switch helps to control the temperature (your light bulb). I used a 25 w bulb and had to turn it wayyyy down to get to 99-100 degrees. I had the bator on for a few days, before I started, and fiddled with it, I marked my best settings on the dimmer.
    My next hatch I would probably pre-set it with some cheap supermarket (unfertile) eggs, because as soon as I put my fertile eggs in the bator, the temperature changed and it took a while to get it back.

I also added clean rocks in a ziplock back on the bottom of the bator as a heat sink, it will retain heat in case of a power outage for a while. Some people use closed jars of water. I didnt because I didnt have the space.

You can attach your computer fan to an old cell phone charger, super easy. Plug in the charger and your fan is spinning.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  3. chick-anmoma

chick-anmoma New Egg

Dec 9, 2013
    Thanks for the advice

I also need to know how to hook up the rotisserie to "turn" the eggs

4. bahamabanty

bahamabanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    I dont know how to do that, I turned them by hand :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by