Newbie needing advice

sunnyshelmo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 4, 2014
Hi chaps, chapettes and chicks!
D.gif

I've signed up to this forum because I need some advice and this is the page that seems to answer my questions when I Google!

I live in the UK and work in a primary (kindergarten) school. Two or 3 months back the nursery class had some eggs to hatch for a project and I ended up bonding pretty strongly with one of the chicks that hatched, a gorgeous cream legbar called Jim (she was named when she was just an egg!), to the point where I kidnapped her and brought her home! The idea being that once she was old enough she would join a friends chickens on her allotment. All went to plan until we took her to the allotment, all was fine at first but she has started escaping and I'm worried about her becoming a nuisance.

Long story short I've taken the decision to bring her back home and give her a home in my back garden....this is where you guys come in!

I'm looking to house her in 8' x 3'6" run on my patio with supervised access to the rest of the garden. I know she will need some feathered company but I don't know what would be the best kind of chicken to keep with her, do you have any suggestions? Also, I've got 3 cats who have not really paid any attention to her whilst she has been brooding in my living room, but will they pose a threat to her outside?

Also what else is essential for a really happy chicken, I've always wanted chickens so I want to make sure that I give them the best home I can
big_smile.png
jumpy.gif

Thanks everybody!

images

Welcome to BYC!

ChickenCanoe has left you with some great links to 2 breeds pages. They both have quick info on most of the attributes on the different breeds.

You will want to do a slow introduction when you do get new birds. Keep the new birds in a cage or fenced off area for a couple weeks. Everybody sees, nobody touches. Gives everybody time to get to know each other without getting hurt. Of course watch closely that mixing day and the rest of the week. And always intervene if it turns bloody.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good advice/links above, you might want to check out /post in the UK thread to see if anyone near you have pullets about the same age that might work as a companion https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/2199/anyone-in-england
Cats will prey on chickens, especially chicks, but most house cats won't bother adult standard birds, unless they are really determined hunters.
You might like to check out the BYC Learning Center, lots of good articles on all aspects of chicken keeping you'll find helpful in general to keep your girls happy. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

images

Welcome to BYC!

ChickenCanoe has left you with some great links to 2 breeds pages. They both have quick info on most of the attributes on the different breeds.

You will want to do a slow introduction when you do get new birds. Keep the new birds in a cage or fenced off area for a couple weeks. Everybody sees, nobody touches. Gives everybody time to get to know each other without getting hurt. Of course watch closely that mixing day and the rest of the week. And always intervene if it turns bloody.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!
Don't forget to quarantine the newbies.

Or you could make her a house pet - she could be outside in a run during the day and come into the house (cage) at dusk.

BYC has a popular thread re: House chickens. My friend has had house chickens for over 25 years, sometimes a few at a time. They sit in a chair with her and watched TV at night.

Hi Drumstick Diva

Jim is a house chicken at the moment but it is dividing our house. The 3 cats who have ruled the roost for years are most dis-chuffed to find the doors shut when Jim is at liberty! The coop and run are on their way and the garden calls, even in the murky British summer I think she's finding it stuffy inside. I'm sure that there will be lots of 'visits' to the house though, she has developed a real bond with my husband and they will no doubt spend the odd evening sharing chocolate buttons in front of the tv!

Back
Top Bottom