newbie needing help!!! possible sick chook

bibilee911

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 12, 2013
Brisbane Australia
Hi. My name is phoebe from brisbane Australia. This site has been extremely helpful whenever I needed it. However I cant seem to find the info I need to help figure out if my girl is sick.

Ok so today I notice my girl hadn't laid an egg and spent most the day just sleeping in the shade. Didn't notice her eat at all or drink.
I got a lil worried about her as my chooks have neverdone ththat before. (I have 7 girls just under 6 months)
3 out of the 7 have started laying and yesterday the girl in question im pretty sure laid a really big egg. Not sure if that is what's caused her behavior today.
No other eggs were laid today either by the other girls. Not too worried about that yet.
But with the girl in question ive noticed her poo is weird compared to normal.
It looks like that milky film u get if u leave a glass of milk out.
I was however able to feed her some food tonight n a bit of water. They were last wormed in the last month.

Another thing ive noticed is that my girls dont really eat their layer mash - this is a new bag but a different brand to what they previously ate.
Could she be not getting the proper nutrients and that's what is causing the issue? Or could it be something more sinister?

Ive currently seperated her from the flock and she seems quite content...

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Welcome to BYC!

To me, it doesn't appear that she is ill. Her comb is nice and pink, her vent looks normal, but her poop... hm. Could she have eaten something to cause it to look like that?

Hi. Thanks for the replies. N yea I agree that everything looks quite normal but the poop is the only thing throwing me. I guess ill just have to keep an eye on her too

welcome-byc.gif

Also, I would say that she might have gotten in to something bad that she ate.
Other than her poop looking funky, I'd say she looks just as healthy as can be. Although, you might want to call the place you got your girls from and ask if they were given shots for pullorum typhoid.

Pullorum Typhoid symptoms in growing and mature birds:
  • anorexia;
  • decreased egg production;
  • depression;
  • diarrhea;
  • high fever;
  • increased mortality (usually higher in chickens than turkeys); and
  • poor hatchability

Your chicken has some of the symptoms, but not all. Still, you might should call the hatchery and ask...

Back
Top Bottom