Newbie needs advice on hen with swollen face, please!

The Egg Bandit

Songster
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
Hi I'm a newbie here, just got some chickens from a neighbor in November: Gold Laced Wyandottes, Rhode Island Reds, Black Star, and Phoenixes. She had too many and they were on the scrawny side. I fed them well, and all are doing well now, except one. She is a RIR, about 6 months old, and just isn't thriving. A couple days ago I noticed her face was red, and seemed a little swollen. I guessed it might be mites or lice, so I put some permethrin and DE in their dust bath. I cleaned out the coop and sprinkled some permethrin on the floor before I put in fresh bedding (straw). I sprinkled some DE on her back and neck. She seems to be getting worse. I think it might be time to cull her, but I'd like some input, if you guys don't mind. She is not wheezing or rasping. She eats and drinks well. She did have a limp that lasted for several days about two weeks ago, but that has gone away (not sure if it is related). She's gotten a little fuller since I've been feeding her, but she's still underweight.
I've been doing some reading and think it might be Coryza, except she breathes normally. I'm trying to attach two photos (sorry about the quality - chickens are the toughest subject I have EVER photographed!). We'll see if I get it right!
46770_02_03_2010_001_small.jpg

46770_02_03_2010_002_small.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Well first of all
welcome-byc.gif
!!! Sorry your first post is regarding an illness. The bubbly eye indicates a respiratory issue and the swollen face could be sinus related. Separate her immediately. Have you read Speckledhen's Ten Commandments of Good Flock Management, the first sticky under "Flock Management"? You can cull as the commandments recommend, your probably should, but I wouldn't. I think you are on track... it is definately respiratory related and could be Coryza but without other symptoms I doubt it. Three of my gals developed the bubbly eye and it turned out to be wet pox which does not have the black lesions like dry pox. My girls were eating and drinking just fine, like your sweet gal. I treated for 5 days with Tylan-50 injections twice a day. I don't recall the dosage but could find it if you want to go this route. All three recovered just fine and give my lots of yummy eggs to express their gratitude! I hope your gal will be ok!

God bless,
Laura

Yeah, hit her with some TYLAn. If you can't do injections they have it for water. Do, seperate her since she can give it to your others. I like Vetrx(8-10 bucks) to have on had. It is like VICKS for chickens,LOL. I rub it on their nose, down the throat and under the wings to help clear them up. She probally could use some yogurt(pro biotic), vitamins and protien to lift her spirts and keep her energy. I swear this weather is doing it!!!! Wet , cold, damp conditions just love to make our chickens sick........URGH!!

Thanks! I am in the Florida panhandle, and it HAS been both cold and wet. I hadn't even noticed the bubbly eye until you guys pointed it out. I was just focused on the "chubby red cheeks". I have read speckled hen's rules, and that's why DH and I were planning to cull her. I'll see if I can get that Tylan for water locally, since I have trouble giving shots.

I'd like to save her, but have no plans to go through heroic measures (or expensive ones!) to do so. She is a sweetie, though.

Thanks again so much. I have been lurking on this site since December, and have learned a lot from all the posters - BYC is definitely addictive. I have my third hatch in the incubator now, and a house full of chicks! These guys are so much fun to watch. Even the older ones.

The folks here have helped me so much! It feels good to give back! lol! I hope your girl makes it and I feel confident that she will. Once you have her isolated give her high protein foods. I find scrambled egg easiest and we certainly have them on hand! Tuna and moist cat food can also be given. The extra nutrients will help her kick this. Whatever caused her limp probably lowered her immunities and allowed this illness to creep in. Baytril is also effective in treating respiratory illness and it is water soluable. Whatever is easier for you to obtain and administer. Baytril 10% dosage is 2ml per quart of water for 10 days. I got mine thru this site: http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/index.php?osCsid=bfadf28461e584bed1ac787b6e3638eb

Good
luck, Egg Bandit! I hope your gal gets to feeling better soon!
Laura

Thanks Laura! The little lady has been very unhappily quarrantined. The foot that was causing the limp has a swollen toe joint. You might be right about that having run her immune system down. I can't see any wound, though. I hope to get in to town tomorrow. I'll pick up some Baytril then - I think I saw it on the shelf at the feed store last time I was there. Otherwise I'll have to order it in. Sometimes living way out in the boonies has its downside.
Thanks again for your help - and thanks on behalf of Skinny Minnie too!

I've treated many birds that look like that. Apply warm wet compress to eye and nose. It looks like her nose is all stopped up so it should be cleaned out. I use a combination of wet q-tip and/or toothpick if I have to. Apply some antibiotic eye ointment in her eye and put some in her nose. You can use Neosporin if you don't have the eye ointment, my vet says it works just as well. Then, open her mouth and check the roof of her mouth. If her sinues are all stopped up, which it looks like they are, the roof of her mouth (the slit in the roof of the mouth) will be full of "gunk". Clean that out using a q-tip dipped in the strongest mouthwash you have. I also use a toothpick to pick out the gunk. Then jam some Neosporin into that slit (her nasal cavity). It doesn't hurt to swab her mouth and throat with a q-tip dipped in strong mouth wash.

Isolate her and check her each day and repeat process till it all clears up. Mine have all healed just fine without being given any antibiotics but I don't guess they hurt if you have them.

Thanks Ruth - at least we have mouthwash and neosporin handy. I'll check her mouth tomorrow morning after she wakes up. It really stinks being a newbie at this and being so far out of town. It's hard to know what to plan for.
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom