Newbie needs help! Chickens not drinking.

Bay House Hens

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 12, 2010
Greetings! We just got our chickens yesterday and they haven't had any water. How do I train them to use a watering nipple they're not used to?

This is the nipple:

https://www.teksupply.com/farm/supp...&division=TekSupply&pageId=ItemDetail&isDoc=N

Any ideas are welcome! We don't want thirsty girls
hmm.png

i had trouble with teaching my chickens to use the nipples. all i can tell you is set with the chickens and tap on the nipples to get water to drip down. do that about 5 min every day and they will catch on. untill then you might want to get a regular waterer. it took my girls about 3 to 4 days to get a hang of it. i set on a bucket next to the waterer and when they were walking around me just tapped the nipple and it would drip on the ground. and if you can try to get a drop of water to stay on tip of the nipple that will attract them. i was told that the morning is the best time to train them to do this.

Just grab one of them, push its beak against the nipple until it recognizes water is coming out. Once it starts attacking it, the others will be sure to follow suit.

After I installed mine I went into the coop and started bleeding the lines. Starting at the nipple on the end of the water line I allowed it to run a solid stream then proceded to the next until I reached the water source. You can bet the chickens were watching me because right after I left the Coop they were all over the nipples.

Thank you for all of the help! Great news... they're drinking from the nipple
big_smile.png

I used a combination of all suggestions... tapping, squirting, pushing a beak against the nipple... and they figured it out. Shwew.
thumbsup.gif

My girls are always leery of new things. . .it always takes them a day or two of looking at something before they appear confortable with it. . .is that just because they are young, or is it normal for chickens to be 'chicken'
wink.png
?

Back
Top Bottom