Newbie needs help selecting dual purpose breed

I just need enough eggs for our family.
More important is meat production and quality, broodiness, and foraging.
We have lots and lots of ticks.

Cory

If you are after meat production first and eggs second, you might try the slow white broilers at Welp hatchery. I have a friend who has some of those and really likes them -- she has saved some hens and hopes to see if they'll breed true, or can be bred up into a fixed breed. She says they are excellent layers.

Kathleen

My initial flock was buff orpingtons, rhode island reds, and barred rocks. The RIR's are great layers, but smaller, and very agressive toward the other birds. The barred rocks pick on everyone, but are large birds, so better for meat use, and lay well. The buff orpington lays well and often, is a large bird, and is the only one of mine to try to brood. She will sit on whatever is in the nest, even if it is only golf balls.
lol.png

My personal favorite is Delawares and Barnevelders. Delawares being the much more affordable of the two. They were bred to leave a white carcass. Lay LARGE brown eggs very well. I have never had them fully stop. Where in TN are you? I'm from Sweetwater but live in Englewood now.

Hi All,

Thanks for the great stuff, keep it coming.
TNchickenut, I'm in Jackson, Co. TN near Gainesboro. I've done some work in Englewood and you've landed in a really cool place.
I love the old houses, and all the springs, and cool hydrology out there.

Cory

Back
Top Bottom