Newbie Needs Help!

vava_voom

In the Brooder
May 17, 2017
Hi there! I'm up in Massachusetts and totally new to chickens - but I've always wanted them, and I'm TOO excited!!!!

But I'm worried too, and I need help!

I've got 14 Scots Dumpy eggs in the bator. Today is Day 7. I've done everything I can to get this right, but owing to the rarity of the breed, I had to have them mail ordered. But they were beautifully, lovingly packed and I really feel if anything goes wrong, it's down to me!

My humidity seems to be (and has been!) between 55-65% and this morning when I removed the cover to turn them, it was at 70%. I've removed water, but it's been raining for days and now about to get hot and steamy and I'm panicked! I plan to candle them tonight. I didn't when they first came in as I had no idea what I was looking for!

I tried putting rolled up bits of paper towel to absorb humidity but there was no change. I've removed most of the water and will keep my eye on the humidity, but I'm worried it's too late. I feel a great responsibility due to the rarity of the breed. I'd hate to be the reason they don't make it! The temperature has stayed beautifully consistent at 38C, but I do worry about that humidity! Please let me know if there's something more I should do!

Everything I'm reading says that if something goes wrong, it'll be early on like this! Please help me salvage the situation. The idea of the chicks drowning when I can't get to them in lockdown is keeping me up at night!

Thanks for any assistance!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! As you are at day 7 you still have time to get the average humidity correct. Humidity is not a set thing for everyone, as long as the average is good over the entire incubation period and the air cells grow large enough things should be fine. First thing is have you checked your hygrometer to make sure it's giving you a correct reading?

If so take all the water out of the incubator and you can add some dry rice which should absorb some moisture. Make sure all your vents or plugs are fully open on your incubator.

Good luck with your hatch :fl

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! As you are at day 7 you still have time to get the average humidity correct. Humidity is not a set thing for everyone, as long as the average is good over the entire incubation period and the air cells grow large enough things should be fine. First thing is have you checked your hygrometer to make sure it's giving you a correct reading?

If so take all the water out of the incubator and you can add some dry rice which should absorb some moisture. Make sure all your vents or plugs are fully open on your incubator.

Good luck with your hatch :fl

What type of incubator?
Is your humidity meter been checked against one that's accurate?

What I found humidity wise that works best for me is 20 to 35 percent. During incubation. Raise to 70 plus for hatch. If I tried 55 to 60 during incubation I had a lot of drowned chicks.

Your still early enough in the cycle to reduce the air cell or speed up dry down with humidity.

If you can't get humidity low enough drain all the water out. If still not low enough you can put rice containers in it to help reduce the amount coming in from the air.

:welcome

Thank you! I'll do that!

New to chickens AND forum-posting, so unsure where to start to get help!

Appreciated!!!!

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

If it is really humid in your part of the world, you may need to do what is called a Dry Hatch. You wouldn't need to add any extra humidity because the room the incubator is in is humid enough and the air being drawn into the incubator is wet enough. Do you have a venting system on your incubator?

However I would definitely follow the link that CTKen provided for continuous help from hatchers. Eventually you will get this figured out.

Good luck and welcome to our roost! :)

Thanks to everyone. I removed the water (even dried with paper towel) and the humidity is down to 25-30%. I feel better. I also ordered a digital hygrometer to back up the regular one I'm currently using.

There's no more condensation on the sides of the bator. I think I don't want that til lockdown.

Thanks again! I'll use the rice if needed.

Back
Top Bottom