Newbie Needs help!

Twistedsister1

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 11, 2014
Central Texas
I am new to this site! My 15 year old Daughter and I started raising Chickens about 6 months ago. We live in Central Texas where even in the winter we barely have cold weather! We started with 2 pullets, or so we thought. One happened to be a rooster! We love this rooster he is beautiful, and friendly to us. Recently we added some new chickens to the coop about 4 weeks ago. Introduced them the way it was recommended. All Seemed well until about a 2 weeks ago. The rooster started Pecking the crud out of one of our hens. We nursed her back to health. But, it seems he would continue to attack her every couple of days to a lesser degree. Well today, he pecked her to death. Will he continue to peck others, Should I get rid of him for the safety of the hens?
Thanks,
TwistedSister1

Yea I would get rid of him.thats weird.but if he killed one he could do it again.they will peck to mate but not to the death.unless hen was bleeding then roosters and hens will peck her to death as they are attracted to red and will peck another chicken to death.

welcome-byc.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry about your hen and the rooster attacking. Your flock is better off without a rooster. The hens will be much calmer with a roo around to bother them.

Enjoy your flock and if you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Hi and welcome to BYC!! Glad you joined.
I would definetly get rid of the rooster or he may encourage the chickens that he doesn't kill to become nasty. Or he may kill your whole flock.
Hope this helps.

Welcome, glad you joined us.

I think you made the right decision to get rid of the rooster. Your flock should be happier now.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I would definitely get rid of the rooster. You wouldn't want his temperament to be passed on to his offspring.

Back
Top Bottom