1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

newbie needs your egg thoughts (warning- poop pic)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by starfiin, Aug 17, 2013.

1. starfiin

starfiin New Egg

Aug 27, 2012
    so yesterday afternoon our Australorp laid her first egg (the first of our foursome to do so).
    It was small and peach and perfect...
    though she did lay in up in the PDZ of the poop tray. Good times.

anyway- this morning when I went out to check on the ladies- I saw this on the poop board under the perch where they sleep-
    [​IMG]

so- this brings up a few questions-

1- that's a shell-less egg, right?
    2. do we think the same chicken (the Australorp) laid that? is it possible she laid more than one "egg" in less than 24 hours- maybe that's why it's shell-less? Or is that from a different chicken? (just seems weird that another would be laying for the first time the very next day after our very first egg)
    3. see the wet sandy area around the poop? what's up with that? one chicken (maybe the Australorp- I don't know what order they sleep in) has had a wet sand spot for a few mornings now... ideas?

ok, sorry to get all gross and graphic- but you all are the only people who will be in the know on this... thanks!

2. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    When they first start laying they have a few kinks to work out. Just keep an eye on them and the eggs should improve.. Give them free choice Oyster shell also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by