Newbie Pigeon Help

Calendula

Songster
7 Years
Aug 15, 2014
In true fashion for our farm, my mother sent me a link to an ad for someone selling out of their pigeons. Having wanted pigeons for so long, and it being a good deal, I decided to call and I mean... there's no point in driving an hour to pick up just a few, right? So I purchased the remaining sixteen plus one baby.

Anyway, so I'm heading up to pick up this flock of Old Dutch Capuchines tomorrow. I'm beyond excited! We have an old barn and someone used to raise pigeons in it over sixty years ago, but the loft is still relatively intact. We just have to clean it out since it was being used for storage and put the door back on.
However, this is on the second story of our barn, so there's no outdoor area coming off of it. Is this a problem? We don't have a hawk or predatory bird problem, so could I open the door and just let them fly out as they please during the day? Or keep them in the loft 24/7?

What do you feed? I believe Family Farm & Home has pigeon feed, but I don't know how healthy it is... And then do the parents need anything special for the squab? I believe the owner said he was born the 19th.

Thank you for all and any help. I'm off to bed now because I have to get up super early to prepare for these birds. And did I mention we're also visiting a rabbit show tomorrow? :lau

If you do not have a hawk problem, then I see no problem with you loft flying your pigeons. I'm not very familiar with your breed of pigeons, although I do know how they look. I'm not sure of their homing skills,,, if any. That meaning,,,,, will they try to return to their original home,,,, or will they be happy loft flying and returning to their new home.
My interest is only in homing pigeons, so am aware of the efforts needed to homeset them to my own loft.
My suggestion to you is...... If you can, then build an aviary and attach it to the outside of your barn, on the second story level. I think something lightweight with chicken wire would be sufficient. (just to keep your pigeons from leaving prematurely.) This would give them outdoor time. Keeping them locked up inside barn loft is no life for a pigeon(s)..
Once you are able to release some, and they keep returning to your loft successfully, you can loft fly the whole flock.
On the subject of hawks,,,,, You may be lucky enough not to have them in your area. I don't know where you live. I know hawks are possible EVERYWHERE.
Post some pix of your pigpens and their loft when you get a chance.:thumbsup
On the subject of feed.... I'm sure the pigeon feed at that feed store should be fine. The lil squab gets fed by the parent. The food is moistened by the pigeon mom and dad in their crop. I never fed my nursing pigeons anything different, than their regular feed.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Last edited:
Capuchins are fancies and neither home well nor fly strongly. They are best kept confined and if the loft allows flight and is not too dark it will likely be fine housing though they would enjoy a secure outdoor coop to get some fresh air and sun.

Congratulations on the new pigeons! I'm not sure on there Homing abilities but I'd definitely keep them in for some time before releasing them. Like caveman rich said, if you can craft up some type of outside aviary they can see they're new outdoor surroundings. Be prepared to almost inevitably lose a couple but hopefully most should stay where they know food, water and a safe home is provided. My wife is a bit of a rabbit fancier! We just sold several to make way for my new loft!

Thanks for the help!

I brought them in last night and have been putting them outside during the day in an enclosed dog kennel with perches so they can fly around. It's 77° today, and I headed outside to feed this afternoon and a few of them are shivering. :( I'm going to take them in for the evening and try to get my boyfriend to rig something up for shelter outside or to block the wind.

And pictures! The first is of my favorite young pigeon. I don't know how to tell gender yet, but I've been calling it a her. And the other picture is of a few of them resting on a perch.

IMG_20190824_175620109_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190824_203457335.jpg

That's what the previous owner said. They fly a lot better than I expected, but I also have seen them fly into the side of the kennel and fall to the ground a couple times. :rolleyes:
This will be temporary for this year. I'm hoping to turn an older pen we have into a larger aviary to give them more room to fly. But with winter approaching, I'm more worried about getting their indoor area ready.

That's what the previous owner said. They fly a lot better than I expected, but I also have seen them fly into the side of the kennel and fall to the ground a couple times. :rolleyes:
This will be temporary for this year. I'm hoping to turn an older pen we have into a larger aviary to give them more room to fly. But with winter approaching, I'm more worried about getting their indoor area ready.
That sounds like a good plan. Where are you located, state?

Back
Top Bottom