newbie planning on making a brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Epent12, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Epent12

Epent12 Chirping

Jan 3, 2014
    jakarta, indonesia
    Hi y'all! I'm a long time chicken fan(I almost have my chickens for 4 years) and I breed them, but I never use a brooder before, I wanna try using brooder because chicks that naturally kept by their mothers often die( I don't know why, or maybe I know) that's why I wanna try using brooder.

So.. I'm planning on making a brooder, but... The things I read about them are making me confused. What thing to use, and what to do

Can you guys help me with this? :D

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
  3. Epent12

Epent12 Chirping

Jan 3, 2014
    jakarta, indonesia

I've read in some website that you need a 250 watt heat lamp, but I think I only need 15 watt, because I live in indonesia (asia, climate - tropic). even tho there's no "summer" here but it's always hot in here, I think If I use 250 watt heat lamp the chicks would turned into fried chicken :lau

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    Hi,
    I agree. I am in western Pennsylvania, USA. I have quit using 250 red blubs.
    They make the chicks too hot. I use 60 watt soft white light bulbs. I don't think
    you even need that much. Start with the 15 watt. you can always add more
    watts if you need them.
    Best, Karen

5. Epent12

Epent12 Chirping

Jan 3, 2014
    jakarta, indonesia

I already made one!

[​IMG]

It's made of cardboard, and that little gray box was a case of a cheap earphone, I cut a square in the sides so they can peck their food inside of it(maybe until I found a feeder that fits) :D .
    My mom offer me to use one of her plastic container/tubs, I think I'll try with my cardboard brooder first :)

-Adrian

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: