Newbie , Please help...........Best breed for my family

Hi again : )

Being from MA and with winter coming what would be the best age to get if I were to come home from the Topsfield Fair with something? : )

Is it better to get them younger like chics to get them more socialized with us or does it really matter? If we get chicks do I have to keep them in the house?

thanks
~k

Quote:
LOL I have some Cochins and I have NO IDEA how to pronounce that. lol

At least I'm in good company!!
lol.png

While I wouldn't dare say it outloud in front of the old school chicken folks
old.gif
my guess on the Faverolles...

Favor-olls (sounds more like a carmello chocolate bar)

and the Cochins...

Co-shins....
Caw-chins
Cock-ins - kind of a rude sounding version.
smack.gif

Cochins is pronounced "Coach -- ins" Most people pronounce Favorolle as "Favor-- ells"
Orpingtons: some people say Or-ping-ton most Old time breeders I know and I pronounce them myself as Orf-ing-ton.

Okay i have a Mille Fluer and shes a doll very tame and calm. Shes Little, so little children can handle them. Not Very Loud either;)

When I first started with chickens I had orpantans and they were great. Friendly and quiet. I love to hear the chickens. I have never considered them loud. Now once in awhile one will lay an egg that she has to tell the world about. Now I have HI-Line Browns and they are wonderful. Similiar to an Orp. I found them through our ag extension office. Good Luck!

You can always do a mixed flock. I started with two of 10 different breed in the beginning (total of 20). Delawares, Orps, Black Austrolorp, and my Bared Rocks are the favorites around here.

I also have leghorns, EE, Silver lace Wyandotte, Golden laced Wyandotte, RIReds, New Hampshire, Black Jersey Giants, and 2 different types of sex-links. And now a batch of bantams growing out.
wink.png
There all cool...but the first mentioned are still the all around favorite. BTW Barred Rock Roosters can be mean!

Funny thing is that I have three BR roosters, all of whom are very sweet, friendly and calm. I love BR roosters. The mean ones would be in the minority, I'd say. In fact, that's the only rooster I want for my laying flock. Naturally, there are individual differences, as within any breed.
Forgot to say that the sire of the three BR roosters I have was also a great guy. I miss him-he died in April.

Last edited:
I wish I was so lucky! I have 3 BR roos...1 nice, 2 extremely mean. lol But that is why I said can be..

These were hatchery chicks...so I have no clue what the parents were like.

They all have different personalities tho...

Back
Top Bottom