Newbie Please Help!!

welcome-byc.gif
, that is one cute chicken. Once you get her a coop, you'll have room for more!

Thank you all for your replies and warm welcome!

She had cheese (took the suggestion!) and some mealworms i have for my lizard this morning. She is actually following me around the house. I was searching craigslist and found tons of chickens for a very low cost. Is there anything i should look for in particular as far as health when getting her some friends?

Also, my landlord has some wood he is giving me, and i figure i will buy some chicken wire today and get started on her run. I have plenty of space (about 4 acres behind my house) of open field, and i have two old sheds on the property that i have been thinking of converting!

Also, great to know her approx age. I was wondering about that. I think i read on here somewhere that they start to lay about 4 months of age. How long does she need to be on the chick formula?

Annnddd...the biggest question i have. When getting her some friends, how in the world can i tell the guys from the gals (when they are young?). I got so attached to this girl so quick, and i checked with my local laws, i can have a flock of six hens legally, but absolutely no roosters. So i don't want to end up with one of those lovely boys and have to get rid of him...
sad.png

Just a warning to everyone...i have an extreme love for all animals and they all become spoiled rotten!! I got into pet rats when i was ten years old and have had them every since (22 now! lol)

This chicken knew just which house to wander up to. Thank you all for your earlier help, and hopefully the continued advice! I will put more pics up later hopefully (fingers crossed that coop building goes well! lol)

Research the type of wire you use. Chicken wire is only good for keeping chickens in, not keeping predators out. If you have wild dogs, I would suggest 5 or 6 foot chainlink with chicken wire or hardware cloth tied to the bottom.

she loved the cheese huh? I haven't found anything that don't like cheese! If you can convert a old shed i would , I would go with welded wire any wire bigger then an 1 inch hole a rat or weasel can get in, also on the run a skirt a foot or more into the ground is good to keep out the varmints . Here in tn i could dig past a foot since we only have a little bit of soil between our rocks! so my skirt is maybe a foot and then bent outwards with dirt and large rocks on top of that. No diggers yet, some coons tried and died..
roll.png
mad rhyming skills! lol I am so glad you are keeping her! like i said this site has a "where are you where am i " thread and you should be able to locate your area and find someone to sell you a chicken friend for her maybe searching the site for your city or nearest major city will find you a thread. Chickens are smart and know who's got a soft spot!!! but i know who's gonna have breakfast!
celebrate.gif
I am still waiting on eggs from mine just turned 13 weeks sat.. hopefully soon. Pm me if you would like to talk more , I have had mine for 13 weeks now from 4 days old and i have 16 , we built our coop out of a truck topper and recycled pallets and wood given to us, even hinges! our runs built on top of railroad ties. we had to get creative and its also on a huge slant! ( we live on the side of a ravine also known by the locals as a "hollar" on the cumberland plateu, fancy name for flat topped mountains! originally form florida ) I had rats growing up, they are so smart and sweet, but always been in love with birds, chickens are really amazing and brought me so much joy! hope to hear from you soon!!

Back
Top Bottom