Newbie question -- hatching

kara1015

Songster
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
New Hampshire
My first 2 chicks just hatched in my Brinsea Mini Advance. They are playing hockey with their cellmates. When can I safely put them in the brooder? I have 3 more eggs waiting to hatch. Thanks!

They can stay in the incubator without eating for up to 48 hours, so don't worry about that! It's usually a good idea to let them start to dry off and fluff up before pulling them out. And a lot of people will tell you not to open the incubator while you still have eggs left to hatch, since it could cause the humidity to drop, which can hinder the other chicks and cause them to become 'shrink wrapped.' However, I've opened during all my hatches and never had one become shrink wrapped - but that's just my experience. I'd say leave them in until the others hatch, unless they're REALLY kicking around the other eggs and it's making you nervous. If so, go in as quick as you can and add a warm wet paper towel as you do it to boost the humidity back up. Congrats on your new babies! They must be a really nice present ;)

You can take the chicks out once they are dry. The chicks, however will live off of the nutrients from the yolk for the next three days, so they don't absolutely have to eat or drink. If you plan on taking them out soon, be sure there are no pips in the other eggs before you open your incubator. If the membrane is exposed, all's it takes is one big gust of air and you've got shrink wrapped eggs - no matter how quickly the humidity is revived. No, it may not *always* result in a shrink wrapped egg, but it does more often than not, so don't risk it.

Playing kick ball with the unhatched chicks has never affected my hatch rates. In fact, if anything I believe it wakes them up. If it worries you, next time hatch in egg cartons. Some people suggest using shelf liner to hatch on, though it doesn't absolutely eliminate the eggs being rolled, it will minimize it.

Becci

Thanks everyone. I did take 4 out and left the one last egg. It just hatched. :)

Back
Top Bottom