newbie question: introducing ducklings to adult duck

suebeerice

In the Brooder
May 7, 2015
Hi,
I successfully hatched 3 swedish blue ducklings in an incubator this past weekend. They are 3-4 days old and are in the brooder and doing great. Until now I have had a solo adult khaki campbell/ buff orphington cross hen that just started laying. She is less than a year old. I'm new to ducks but I'm wondering if she might "mother" the ducklings or if there is any reason I should not introduce her to the ducklings once they are a little older.... if its ok to do so... how old should the ducklings be before I put them all together?
Thanks... I know these may be basic questions but I haven't been able to find an answer by searching the boards.
S

Hi,
I successfully hatched 3 swedish blue ducklings in an incubator this past weekend. They are 3-4 days old and are in the brooder and doing great. Until now I have had a solo adult khaki campbell/ buff orphington cross hen that just started laying. She is less than a year old. I'm new to ducks but I'm wondering if she might "mother" the ducklings or if there is any reason I should not introduce her to the ducklings once they are a little older.... if its ok to do so... how old should the ducklings be before I put them all together?
Thanks... I know these may be basic questions but I haven't been able to find an answer by searching the boards.
S

From what I gather, a duck probably won't "mother" ducklings that are not hers. She might even try to kill them. I know my two older ducks HATED my ducklings at first.

Best bet is to wait until the little ones are a similar size to your older duck, and then gradually introduce them. You can pen them together with a wire fence between them so they can see and talk to each other but not touch, and when they seem to be getting along you can introduce them (supervised) in the same run. All of mine get along famously now, but there was a lot of arguing and fighting and chasing at first while they worked out the pecking order. Be ready to step in and separate them if someone is getting too aggressive.

Thank you so much for your response....I am glad I asked! Will keep them apart until they are closer to full grown.
smile.png

I have 3 adult ducks. One is sitting on the nest. Now, I have 5 babies from a big Holderread order. I'm going to be integrating in about 1 month.
I put my babies on the grass today, and my GEESE just freaked out, and they weren't even close to them.

My 1 duck was ok. The mama was on the nest, but the 1 that was running around was curious. I didn't let them meet, but they got a visual.

Back
Top Bottom