Newbie question

Ok, then it's not just me. I'm looking at that pic thinking it's a pullet. Haha! I feel validated now!
Right the picture is the chick my hen hatched this summer that at 14wks now I believe to be a Rooster. Really the picture was just for visual nothing more. I was just wondering about new chicks down the road when the hens start producing fertile eggs… what we might get. Just a silly question… I’m new to all this.

If you can’t keep a rooster, but are willing to do so and continue to hatch chicks, what are your plans for whatever males you end up hatching?
Good point… well I’m hoping I don’t have a hen go broody on me again. I don’t have to worry about them hiding the eggs because I have a very small flock (4) and they live in an enclosed area.

what will they be… I have 2 buff Orpingtons and one New Hampshire red. My rooster is a Barred Rock.
A Barred Rock rooster over either of those hens will give chicks that are black and white barred, probably with red or buff leakage. Leakage means a few feathers of a different color can leak through. This mixed cockerel should be solid black but has some buff leakage.

Leakage Black  Roo.JPG

There is a lot more to breed than just feather color. Things like eye color, type of comb, number of toes, and many many more. Body shape is an important component of breed. A good poultry judge can tell the breed of many chickens just by seeing a silhouette of that chicken and nothing else. When you cross two breeds you don't get a breed, you get a crossbreed chicken.

Bhaake said:
We live in city limits and cannot have a rooster

Bhaake said:
Well the one that survived I’m pretty sure is a rooster 🤦🏼‍♀️
We’ve decided to keep it

Exactly

And you can always break a broody or give her chicks, so you know you have females. I've done this multiple times over the years.

I have a rooster, but I don't allow breeding because one rooster is plenty in my flock, and I don't eat my chickens. I just pick up all the eggs I get every day. Easy peasy!

A Barred Rock rooster over either of those hens will give chicks that are black and white barred, probably with red or buff leakage. Leakage means a few feathers of a different color can leak through. This mixed cockerel should be solid black but has some buff leakage.

View attachment 2850132

There is a lot more to breed than just feather color. Things like eye color, type of comb, number of toes, and many many more. Body shape is an important component of breed. A good poultry judge can tell the breed of many chickens just by seeing a silhouette of that chicken and nothing else. When you cross two breeds you don't get a breed, you get a crossbreed chicken.

Exactly
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom