newbie question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by trev.y, Apr 27, 2011.

1. trev.y

trev.y New Egg

Apr 27, 2011
    we are just stepping into the world of chickens and have a couple of questions. we have four, two week old chicks and they are doing good. we have two speckled sussex, one black langshan and one salmon favorelle. just yesterday they started going after each other. it appears that they are pecking at each other's new feathers/quills that are coming in. is this normal? also, we are just giving them feed we received from the feed store for baby chicks and water. i'm assuming this is fine. how important is it to add something to the water?

thanks in advance,
    trevor

2. hunter109

hunter109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    moscow ohio
    i have 15 golden commets and 2 banties and all we are feeding is chick go from the local feed store they are growing well and i am just giveing mine water every day i change there water that is well i have 15 more comming here this monday i think they will be here at the local feed store. as for the pecking idk mine ant doing any of that mine are setting up the pecking order in my group so far thats it

3. sjmarshall87

sjmarshall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Carthage
    I am new to this as well but I was warned that when they begin "attacking" eachother i.e pecking and plucking feathers constantly they are lacking on space and providing more space to them may solve the issue. With my babies upon bringing them home I gave them water with 2 tsp of sugar dissolved in it. Was told that helps them adjust to the move. Since then it has been plain water.. I hear a lot of people talking about adding electrolytes but I dont know how necessary it is. I would imagine electrolytes would be needed in the heat of the summer?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  4. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC! To answer the water question, at this point don't add anything, just plain clean water. Adding vitamins to the water is mainly for newborns if they are weak. If they are pecking each other, you should make sure they have enough room. To be on the safe side try 1 square foot per chick. You could also try adding some toys to distract them, any simple stuffed animal will do. I have 2 in my brooder and they climb all over them, jump off them, etc. They love them. Most chick starter is just fine for them if that is what you are feeding them. You can give treats now, mine love plain yogurt! Make sure it is plain. The extra protein right now is good for them [​IMG] but don't give too much. I put it on the end of my finger and they go crazy, it may take them a few minutes to realize it is food. I had to rub it on their beaks to force them to try it. Also, go to the learning center on this website, they have great general info on raising baby chicks! Good Luck! [​IMG]

5. hunter109

hunter109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    moscow ohio
    yea they do have some good info on there

6. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yeah, make sure they have enough space and are not too warm!

[​IMG]

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Yes, it's common for them to pick at the white, papery sheath that covers new feathers. If you notice them picking at the feathers themselves (and pulling any out), that's a different matter, and you want to try to nip that in the bud by giving them other things to occupy them. If you have them on starter feed, they should be getting enough protein, although just to be sure you could check to see if there have been any recalls on your brand of feed (this happens from time to time with commercial feeds).

8. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Do you have a red heat lamp? I found that the red heat lamp made it harder for them to pick on each other. Also if the conditions are wrong or too hot they will peck at each other.
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by