1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jermoatc, Jul 13, 2011.

1. jermoatc

jermoatc Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    My broody hen is about to hatch her chicks. I intend to let her raise her chicks in the yard with the rest my small laying flock (8). I bought some chick starter feed that I am putting under a slatted box to keep the older birds out but I am worried because I read that the layer feed is bad for the chicks. What if they get some of it foraging around the yard? is it really harmful?

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

No probably not in small doses. The higher calcium in the layer feed for egg shell production can be harmful to the kidneys of the little ones, but in your case, I wouldn't think it would be any big deal.

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    If you use the big pellets for layer feed, the chicks won't eat it because it will be too big. They prefer the finer chick feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by