Newbie Question :)

PasoMoon

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 18, 2012
Hi! I'm new here, I had chickens growing up and now my husband, 2 daughters and I are getting our first chicks on Monday! We purchased the hen house online and it will be here next week. I was wondering if anyone has ever put their coop and run on gravel? We have a side yard that has a graveled landscape and we are thinking of putting it there. Does it work? Easy to clean? I appreciate all input, thanks!
smile.png

:frow Welcome to the forum! :frow Glad you joined us! :frow

I've never tried it on gravel but I don't like the idea. One reason is that chickens scratch a lot. They'll have a lot of trouble scratching in gravel and finding anything. Also, crushed gravel can be pretty sharp. I'd be concerned the chickens would cut their feet and get Bumblefoot. That's basically where a foot wound gets infected. Round pea gravel or river stones are not nearly as risky as crushed gravel since they are not as sharp.

My thoughts on the gravel are the same as Ridgerunner. I like pine shavings in the coop as it is easy to keep clean...and sand in the run.

x2
I suggested round pea gravel in the runs at one point years ago. I was told NO. They still will cut their feet and or rip nails. At the moment we have dirt floor runs with strw covering on the outside and use shavings on the inside. I do hope to change to sand.
Also with gravel of any kind they cannot dust bathe.
My thoughts on the gravel are the same as Ridgerunner. I like pine shavings in the coop as it is easy to keep clean...and sand in the run.

Last edited:
Our large run (20x30) sits on an old driveway. Once the chickens scratched and destroyed the grass that had grown over it, the gravel remained and some dirt along with it. It is on a southern slope and does very good. When it rains alot it will be a little muddy for a day, but dry out very quickly. I could barely drive a steel post in the ground, but the RIRs can scratch a dust bathing hole 8 inches deep and 2 foot around (go figure). So, overall, I really like the gravel run, as long as it is sloped so it can drain!

Wow, thanks for all the advice, think I will choose a different spot! It isn't a sloped area at all and right near a hill too so it would probably get mucky during the rain too. Can't wait to post some pics of my new babies tomorrow!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom