newbie questions about Olive Eggers comb

maceleneo

Crowing
Apr 2, 2020
Northern Italy
Hi, my Olive Egger rooster should be an AraucanaXMarans. His comb doesn't look like the typical pea comb you see in the articles showing different comb types and it's bigger than pea combs I saw in Araucana roosters where I live , but I guess this is what you get crossing a pea comb with a single comb, right? What do you call this type of comb?
DSC_3005.jpg

I crossed this rooster with a Marans hen; could a chick from this pair have a single comb or will they all have pea combs (or whatever you call this type of comb)?
At what age can you tell a pea comb from a single comb in chicks?
These are his chicks, they are 3 weeks old, can you already tell what kind of combs do they have?
DSC_9234.JPG
Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm trying to learn! Thanks for your answers!

Thank you, I find very little on the Web, but I found some older thread about this kind of combs here in the forum.
If I'm not mistaken, crossing a modified pea comb with a single comb you could still have offspring with a single comb, but I can't find anything about at what age you can identify a comb type. I suppose there's no fixed age and it varies depending on the chick and on the comb.

Thank you, I find very little on the Web, but I found some older thread about this kind of combs here in the forum.
If I'm not mistaken, crossing a modified pea comb with a single comb you could still have offspring with a single comb, but I can't find anything about at what age you can identify a comb type. I suppose there's no fixed age and it varies depending on the chick and on the comb.
Oh! You can usually tell what type of comb a chick has by two weeks.

Can I ask you an opinion about the chicks I posted in my first message? They are 3 weeks old. Could you tell what kind of combs do they have by that picture?

Back
Top Bottom