Newbie questions.

Spoiled1_629

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
Midland, TX
I will be getting my chicks on the 24th. My mom already has them, I just have to go get them and bring them home. I have the coop and run set up, my question is: Can I take them directly to the coop? I was planning on laying the box that we bring them home in over on its side inside the coop. My coop is always open. Do I put the food and water in the coop with them or put it in the run to encourage them to come out? They will be 2 weeks old.

It will take them a while, like a week or two, to explore both the coop and run, no matter where you put food and water. I'd show them where they are when I put them in, then sit back and watch. I keep both food and water in the coop for my convenience, and so the food is dry even if it rains unexpectedly, but it can be done either way, and there are advantages to both.

At two weeks old, they still may need to heat lamp at night depending on where you live and how cold it gets at night. If you are in the midst of this heat wave, you will have to be careful if they are outside in the coop that the temp inside does not get so high as to kill the babies. So watch the temp where ever it is you are going to be taking them. Cold and heat can be disasterous for them at that age.

If you do take them out into the coop, they will need a completely secure run as being that age, they will not know how to free range and survive any predators. So keep them in an enclosed area. I would keep them in the coop until they are a few more weeks old. Keep food and water in the coop with them at all times. You can let them out of the coop during the day, but watch them closely and keep them supervised at all times, as they are only babies. Good luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom