Newbie questions

Just depends on your area but I never read to keep them penned off the ground a year and you would need a really big cage cause I have had males that get a small train at a year old.

You never did answer weather you had other fowl, they play a key roll in some dieses wee peas can get.

Don't worry about irritating anyone here with questions, that is why we are here to learn together new and old
hugs.gif

For poults, I stress to keep off the ground for at least 6 months. Because of this is why I have sand in my runs and outside brooders. My peas and poults do not touch the ground for this amount of time.

I do not have any other fowl indoors or out nor any other animals except an indoor cat. We are thinking on building something around the size of 16 ft long 12 ft wide and 6-7 ft tall with a connecting coop/nesting area of course depending on if that space would be sufficient for a trio (1 male 2 females).

So it is or is not okay to house them on ground (with a coop and perches so they can get off ground when they want) if sand is added? Just want to make sure I am understanding properly

Peachicks and turkey poults should not touch the ground, wire, wood, etc. that chickens have *ever* been on for at least six months or there is a very good chance they will get blackhead and die. Even waiting until they're six months is no guarantee... I have seen them get blackhead at that age.

You might want to look into getting a few metronidazole pills "just in case". This link has some interesting info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/804570/coping-with-blackhead

Many people do raise mixed flocks and never have problems, but some of us aren't so lucky.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thank you Kathy that's very helpful. We aren't using anything that has been previously used by any other animal we have bought all new materials down to the screws and nails (lol) We wont be getting any other type of fowl. We only want our peacocks and cat no more animals for this family! I just have to find the colors I want and start to understand the production (I.E which pair combination produces which color) We want a yard full off various color peacocks someday.

Find a vet now that treats peas. It may take awhile that you won't have when you need one. The question of whether you can put your peas on the ground right away depends solely on where you are , whether you or a previous owner has had other fowl and your climate. That means the best advice is going to come from someone that lives near you. Put your peas on a regular worming schedule and stick to it, you will have healthier peas and a lot less disease problems.
I live in Michigan, have guineas, chickens, turkeys, ducks and geese. I have my peas on the ground from out of the brooder on with no problems but I would not advise anyone else to do this. In my area all the pea owners I know do this and it works. That said, they are all "old timers" that take care of their birds.

We have found a vet about an hour from us. How often is best to worm them? And I live in South Carolina my land was just woods before we bought it it's just been cleared and everything within the past 6 months and our home was put here immediately so it's never been used for any type of fowl (other than everyday birds and such that live in the forest). The man we got our munchkin from raises guinea's, rabbits, ducks, chickens, peafowl, turkeys, dogs etc a whole little farm which I am now sure why he said to keep him off the ground maybe he assumed we had other fowl...?

I think most people worm twice a year, some like me do more, but I have blackhead here. Do your research on worming and understand the amounts of wormer needed to kill the different worms, this is where a consult with a vet would be helpful, but do keep in mind that vets don't always give out the correct info. There's lots of conflicting info on what wormers kill what worms, dosing amounts, number of days, etc. I have collected a bunch of links from published sources and will post them as soon as I get off this iPad and on the computer, lol.

-Kathy

Am waiting for your information, Cathy.
You can't count on the fact that you don't have other fowl to prevent your area from having disease, I don't know if your area has a problem with blackhead or other diseases, but if it does, the breeders in your area will know.

Back
Top Bottom