Newbie questions...

smhoekzema

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 15, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Just a couple of newbie questions... My 5 day old chicks like to be REALLY warm. My thermometer says it's 36-37 degrees CELSIUS in their favourite corner under the heat bulb at times. When I put in a lower wattage bulb so it's around 31-32 (recommended) they all gather together under it cheeping loudly and can't seem to get to sleep:( What should I do?? Also one of my chicks has a spot on her beak ( different colour). The others often peck at it. Will this hurt her?

There cheeping because they are cold if they are huddled under the light, lower it closer to them is the brooder big enough for them to get away from the light if they get to hot? Usually they will find a happy medium spot near the light.The bigger they get raise the light so it's not so hot.

Have you checked your thermometer? Maybe its not accurate. I'd just be guided by the chicks and give them the extra warmth with the option to move away if they get too warm.

The thermo is accurate:) Had the same thought as you appps! Thanks for your help:) It's room temp at the other end so I assume they will sort themselves out

Yes they will sort themselves out and find the spot they like most. I always treated my chick pens like my reptile enclosures. Give them an ideal "hotspot". Not sure what it would be in Celsius but in Fahrenheit I keep the hot spot close to 100F for the first few days. And give them enough room to move away if they want to a cooler spot around 80F. They'll find the spot that's right for them. And just go by their behavior. If they're constantly huddled under the heatlamp peeping they want it warmer. If they're constantly as far away as they can get, they want it cooler. I've always gone "by the book" but by the chicks' behavior as well.

Back
Top Bottom