Newbie questions

LauraSac

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Sacramento, CA
I'm a newbie. Actually, not even that yet. We're getting our pullets from a 4-H kid on Friday. I live in Sacramento. We have really hot summers (triple digits with no or low humidity), with pleasant overnight temps (usually), and a strong, sometimes chilly Delta breeze. Since it's dry, it can be 100 degrees outside, but drop to 80 in the shade and be really comfortable. In the winter, we have some overnight freezing, rain (if we're not in a drought), and chilly to mild daytime temps (though this year, it was more like Spring). We have a 3 hen max in the city, so that's what we'll have. Our coop is 3 x 3 plus nesting boxes (two, but I might make one place to hold a scraper and cleaning items - or should I leave both available as nests?). The run is 4 feet tall and 4x8 feet. It's up against the back of our detached garage which will protect them from the Delta breeze. (see picture)

The sun will always be filtered except for mid-day when it's straight up. We're going to shade half the run and have the option of covering all of it in the rain. I also want a portable run so they can get more sun and I can get my lawn fertilized. I saw this: http://www.amazon.com/Pawhut-Outdoor-Triangular-Wooden-Rabbit/dp/B00ELU1A90/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1395772213&sr=8-3&keywords=pawhut+hutch. I was thinking of duplicating something like it. Do they need a hutch with a nesting box if we're going to leave them out for any period of time or can we just have the A-frame without the hutch?

We have six foot privacy fences, but have dogs on two sides (none the side the run butts up to). We also have dogs, and can control their interaction, but I'm hesitant to let them free range should they go over the fence. After my summer garden is over in the Fall/early winter, I thought I'd throw deer netting over my garden fence and let them have at it.

I had someone make the coop because it was cheaper than any of the kits and we're already up to our heads in home projects. I also thought he'd know better than us since he makes coops for a living, but he didn't put a door in in it, just a hole for the ladder. This reduces floor space (I asked for the ladder to come underneath the coop and for the coop to be above the run so the run cold be bigger. But what do I know? I wish he had advised me differently). I've buried hardware cloth on the outside of the run and the run is all hardware cloth. We're adding a trap door to shut them in at night, but it would be awfully nice if, once they're full grown, we can just leave the ladder down when the weather is mild. Is that asking for trouble? I know people in my neighborhood who have used tractors that aren't nearly as protective. As a gardener, I know we get rats and I've seen one dead possum in the 5 years I've been here. And of course, we have hawks and owls. But I've never seen any sign of raccoons or skunks (though I know that doesn't mean they don't exist), but we definitely don't have foxes.

The kid we're getting the pullets from has a variety of breeds. I've heard, go ahead and mix them, and I've also heard never mix them. I want Buff Orpington and Barred Rock and not sure what else. Bad idea to mix? OK?

Anyway, that's how we're doing this. I'd appreciate advice, criticism, suggestions. I've honestly gotten almost too much info and a lot of it contradictory. The more I learn, the less I know.

Last edited:
Yes you can mix the breeds, they will get along just fine, and ya you can leave their door open when they get bigger.

~~Welcome to the insanity.
Your chickens will do fine, in your climate. Shade is more important than shelter, in the warmer climates. I have 85% shade cloth over one run and its not opaque enough. On hot days, the chickens walk the edges of the coop, to keep in the shadows. They act as if they're going to burst into flames. The run from shady spot, to shady spot, on hot days.
One nest box is plenty, for three hens. You will need to give them a place to lay, should you confine them to a chicken tractor of some sort, that won't allow them to return to there familiar coop.
Be sure to move your chickens around the lawn often. Too long in one spot and they'll did holes in no time. Leave it longer and they'll eat it down to dirt.
None of my full grown hens can clear a six foot fence. Some of the heaviest can barely fly up to a two foot high roost.
Opinion differ on what's adequate protection from predators. I take criticism from some, for relying on an electric fence setup. It hasn't failed me yet, going on eight years. If, your neighbors have had survival success, with chicken tractors of dubious integrity, yours will most likely do fine.
Mixing breeds is fine. I used to have a couple of small bantams, with the flock of thirty five other heavy breed hens. They died of old age.
Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. I'm excited. I'm naturally a morning person (up at 5:30 on most days) and I'm an outdoor chores person (rather pull weeds than dust), so I think having hens is a natural fit for me. Plus, with a max of 3 hens allowed, I can't get too carried away like I have with our dogs (we have 3, all rescues, all a handful, and I love it).

I don't think our hens will ever free range without supervision. Just last week, a neighbor's hen was killed when she was gone and they were left out in the yard. She blamed the feral rooster that roams the neighborhood (roosters aren't allowed in the city limits, so it was likely dumped). I don't know enough about roosters to agree, but I do know we have hawks. They would be my concern probably more than any nighttime predators.

It showered yesterday and is raining this morning and both the coop and run are dry, so that's good. Just two more days of obsessing and then I'll be a real newbie. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. Glad to have found you all as a resource!

Hi and welcome! I love the excitement in your posts - you will have three very lucky girls that get to be your chickens. As far as the contradictory information - the thing is there are a lot of ways to do just about everything - it's like with anything else, if you ask 10 people a question you'll get 11 different answers - doesn't really mean that one is right and the others are all wrong (for general things - there are times when there are obvious right/wrong answers), just that each person giving you input has their own set of experiences, knowledge, etc on which they are basing their answer. You'll find as you get further into this venture you will start finding your own ways of doing things, etc that work for you and your flock - take the information you gather, sift through it and find what helps you and discard the rest
wink.png
(or, better still, tuck it away and if you find yourself needing to re-evaluate something down the road you already have some other things you can try)

Hi and welcome!  I love the excitement in your posts - you will have three very lucky girls that get to be your chickens.  As far as the contradictory information - the thing is there are a lot of ways to do just about everything - it's like with anything else, if you ask 10 people a question you'll get 11 different answers - doesn't really mean that one is right and the others are all wrong (for general things - there are times when there are obvious right/wrong answers), just that each person giving you input has their own set of experiences, knowledge, etc on which they are basing their answer.  You'll find as you get further into this venture you will start finding your own ways of doing things, etc that work for you and your flock - take the information you gather, sift through it and find what helps you and discard the rest ;)  (or, better still, tuck it away and if you find yourself needing to re-evaluate something down the road you already have some other things you can try)

Great advice :D going to use it as well. I get confusing and varied advice and it makes my head spin. Thanks for sharing

Hi and welcome! I love the excitement in your posts - you will have three very lucky girls that get to be your chickens. As far as the contradictory information - the thing is there are a lot of ways to do just about everything - it's like with anything else, if you ask 10 people a question you'll get 11 different answers - doesn't really mean that one is right and the others are all wrong (for general things - there are times when there are obvious right/wrong answers), just that each person giving you input has their own set of experiences, knowledge, etc on which they are basing their answer. You'll find as you get further into this venture you will start finding your own ways of doing things, etc that work for you and your flock - take the information you gather, sift through it and find what helps you and discard the rest
wink.png
(or, better still, tuck it away and if you find yourself needing to re-evaluate something down the road you already have some other things you can try)
Thanks for the welcome. I always get a little obsessive when I try a new venture. I know once I get going, I'll be able to apply what I've learned to my situation. I read everything I can on gardening and then break all the rules and have pretty good success. I'm an information junkie but I'll be better able to filter it, I'm sure, once we bring the girls home.

Back
Top Bottom