Newbie searching for right breeds

havantics

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 22, 2012
Upstate SC
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I have been wanting chickens and pigmy goats for a good while now and finally researching more in hopes of setting up hutch/coop and getting started within the next couple of weeks.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? None

(3) What breeds do you have?
Still researching best for our lives.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Google and magazine.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Breed Golden Retrievers and Havanese.... which is why I am looking for what breed of chickens works for my brat pack.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I work from home and building a new life for me and my goldens and havanese, moving to a very rural nice and quiet parcel of land to start anew. [/FONT]

What do you want chickens for? Eggs? Meat? Ornamental? Do you want a large breed, medium breed, or small breed? Where live is mostly hot or cold? Do you want a breed that can also hatch eggs? Lots of question, I know, sorry. Just wanting to know more to suggest some breeds.

Last edited:
WelcometoBYC.gif

Thanks! I want dual but good layers, pleasant personalities for layers and not too agressive but not spooked easily. hmmm, think my goldens will be fine with them, its the little ones,my 2 havanese that will have to be segregated from them till they get use to them because Kit, my 2 yo girl, will try to herd them.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio!

We can recommend:
Australorps - dual purpose, good size breed, consistent layers, calm disposition
Orpingtons - dual purpose, good size breed, consistent layers, (can be broody), calm disposition unless they are protecting their young
Wyandottes - dual purpose, good size breed, good layers, don't seek human contact - but not flighty
Easter Eggers - medium size breed, consistent layers of blue/green to green eggs, friendly disposition
Sussex - medium size breed, consistent layers, friendly disposition, good

If you don't mind a bit more time to mature:
Brahma - large breed, consistent layers, calm disposition
Jersey Giant - large breed, good layers, calm disposition

We do not have a dog or dogs, so I cannot address that part of your question. Good luck to you.

Welcome to BYC! Interesting combination of dogs. Good luck on the research for the perfect chicken breed. You'll see that lots of folks here can't settle on just one (or even ten different breeds). Enjoy the chickens!
smile.png

We can recommend:
Australorps - dual purpose, good size breed, consistent layers, calm disposition
Orpingtons - dual purpose, good size breed, consistent layers, (can be broody), calm disposition unless they are protecting their young
Wyandottes - dual purpose, good size breed, good layers, don't seek human contact - but not flighty
Easter Eggers - medium size breed, consistent layers of blue/green to green eggs, friendly disposition
Sussex - medium size breed, consistent layers, friendly disposition, good

If you don't mind a bit more time to mature:
Brahma - large breed, consistent layers, calm disposition
Jersey Giant - large breed, good layers, calm disposition

We do not have a dog or dogs, so I cannot address that part of your question. Good luck to you.

+1 on the Australorps. I have a hen that is broody right now. She is consistent in her laying before the broodiness. We forgot to get eggs. Been sick here and she thought "Oh I will just set on them I guess!" And we didn't mess with her much, when she was young. But we can stick our hands under her and get unmarked eggs. She is still sitting, too!

I also had a Orpington Buff, and I miss her so much.

Oh I forgot!
welcome-byc.gif
from Arkansas!!

Back
Top Bottom