Duckles

Songster
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
West Mass
Ok I have a couple questions...

One: my precious runner Whitey is all bald under his "wings"
hu.gif
It looks like maybe the other ducks are pecking him? Or is this normal? We're working on moving them to a bigger coop today because they really need it, but I'm worried that it might continue even if they have more space because he's so much smaller than the others... Any thoughts?

Two: I got 2 new little ducklings at the grain store because I wanted to grow my flock in smaller numbers to be able to make them more friendly towards people by snuggling them a lot and reducing the number of siblings around them. Well, these little guys BITE! I had no problems with our first 10, a couple of them would give a nibble or two and then get over it, these ducklings basically chew on me, my earrings, my freckles, my engagement ring... I haven't even fed them treats yet so it's not like they're used to getting peas from me. And this happens whether they've just eaten/gotten fresh water etc. Is there anything I can do? I can barely stand to hold them they just bite so much... Then when I put them back in the brooder they cry and cry...
barnie.gif

Thanks!!

I adopted a 5 day old mallard duckling that would peck at my buttons on my shirt. Turned out to be a male (Drake). This may be normal for some types and genders of ducks.

I actually have not looked too closely at the underside of my ducklings wings, but if they are like chicks at all in the feather growing department than that area is a little slow to grow in feathers. If you notice bald spots on the back or tail area then I'd be looking at his buddies as the culprits.

Back
Top Bottom