Newbie, thanks for the great community!!

So we had a sick blue maran I separated her from the rest of the girls; she got bad enough I had to put her down last week, then our cuckoo maran and our little egger got sick... It looks undeniably like MG/MS.... Snotty nostrils, goopy eyes, coughing and sneezing, lethargy...... In talking to the woman we got 6 of our birds (all the ones that started getting sick) from, she mentioned that she remembered her vet diagnosis MG and giving her antibiotics; but she didn't know enough to know the ramifications of MG/CRD in a flock.
Long story short we are going to cull the whole flock. My wife, kids and I are crushed.

So we had a sick blue maran I separated her from the rest of the girls; she got bad enough I had to put her down last week, then our cuckoo maran and our little egger got sick... It looks undeniably like MG/MS.... Snotty nostrils, goopy eyes, coughing and sneezing, lethargy...... In talking to the woman we got 6 of our birds (all the ones that started getting sick) from, she mentioned that she remembered her vet diagnosis MG and giving her antibiotics; but she didn't know enough to know the ramifications of MG/CRD in a flock.
Long story short we are going to cull the whole flock. My wife, kids and I are crushed.
Oh no! That's awful! I'm so sorry! :hugs

Thanks for being here everyone.
My wife three daughters and I have 13 birds, that are as much pets as they are egg layers.
We have:
  1. Lavender Orp
  2. Chocolate Orp
  3. Columbian Wyandotte
  4. Cukoo Maran
  5. Some Easter eggers
  6. 2 leghorns
  7. Partridge Plymouth Rock
  8. Two unknown older ladies(RI red mixes or ISA Reds????)
We're glad to be a part of the group! Thanks.

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

Yesterday I culled our entire flock, it was really hard; but I absolutely know it was the right thing to do. We're going to grieve, sanitize everything and rebuild.
This was a very painful lesson in Bio-security; one we will not soon forget.
That must have been so difficult, I can only imagine. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom