Newbie Thinking about Geese and Ducks

Apr 2, 2020
East End, Long Island, NY
Hello all!

I have been doing a good deal of reading from all the wonderful comments people have left on this site and decided it was time to introduce myself. Thank you for all the advice, pictures of the animals and structures.

Due to the pandemic, I now have some extra help at home to help build what is needed for some poultry outdoors.

My biggest concern is noise. I have 2/3rds of an acre and I believe I have enough grass and weeds for two geese, to forage. (Also apple tree droppings.) Everything is "organic" because I have a large, old, golden doodle. He is friendly and I think may enjoy the company. He must have mourned for a good month when my last cat passed away.

Geese do not require elaborate structures, are hearty in the winter, live long, and can be good companions/alarms. Also they eat bugs, their excretions do not hurt plants. My soil is on the sandy side. I am thinking the enclosed pen should be sand based, to decrease mud, and lessen the chance of slipping.

I doubt I will get another big dog, but geese may be a better size for me, in the long run and good company in my yard. I am not interested in eating them.

I am thinking of getting two female pilgrims to start. I am concerned if I add gander, that may be too much noise? The closest neighbor is about 150' away from where I would place them. I have a 4' fenced yard.

We have wild turkeys running around and some not so wild turkeys, too. One nested in my front yard last year and had 9 babies, but I think they slowly got turkey pox and died over time, based on the growth on the face of one of the last four babies. I really enjoyed having them around and so did my dog. We have deer, racoons, opposums, moles, voles, harmless garter snakes. Also ferral cats. They keep rodents away/help with ticks.

There is a neighbor on ten acres who is about 1,000' away who has chickens, roosters and turkeys. Those sounds are part of the landscape. If a couple of geese could work out, I would consider a few Muscovy ducks for eggs, in the future.

Suggestions welcomed. I live at the end of Long Island in New York.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Sorry I don't know anything about geese - except for the Canadian Geese that live in the area and don't migrate at all. They have dumped their waste on the school yards, golf courses and parks to the extent where it isn't safe to walk.

But, thanks to the covid virus,schools , parks and a lot of gathering areas(golf courses) have been closed down thanks to our governor.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! 🐔

Feel free to drop in and share your flock

Updates for 2020 with us here in my 2020 flock life thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/2020-flock-life.1351080/

FDF4D964-F9E5-4AD4-8438-CDEE9408673E.jpeg

It’s nice to meet you!

Back
Top Bottom