Newbie to cortunix questions

Quailraiser22

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 10, 2012
North east oklahoma
Im going to buy quail off craigslist currently 6 weeks old i have built a pen and have the right feed. how many males and females should i get? Is regular 24% protein game bird feed enough? should i put them under a heat lamp in the winter?

the less males the better because they will fight, as long as there's a bunch of females and they have enough room, you can run more than 1 male in with them, males will crow and hens will lay millions of eggs LOL

I have 2 3' x 9' colonies of coturnix with 2 males and 7-8 females each. They all get along great and they have plenty of room to roam, peck at dirt, take dust baths and do normal quail stuff. Right now I'm only getting 3-6 eggs a day because many of my females are still young as well as I purchased them from a place where they were extremely stressed, being about 70 birds in a pen about 3' x 3' :( I can't even imagine how someone can allow such deplorable conditions. Those females were so stressed and pecked that many came almost completely defeathered. I mostly only bought them to rescue them from the horrible conditions they were in.

Yeah,thats awful glad to got them to a better place. anyways the people i was going to buy the quail from today are out of town until tomorrow i think ill get 8 hens and 2 males they have will have a lot of space and i built an outside pen for them.

Back
Top Bottom