Newbie to Incubating - And the hatching begins!!!

McNugget

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Upstate, SC
I put my first batch of eggs in the incubator on 3/3. 26 eggs. Wish me luck! I'm new to all things Backyard Chickens...

Last edited:
I don't believe in luck, but instead I'll send my...

...Best wishes,
smile.png

Ed

Oh! Good luck!! What kind of incubator... what breed/s of eggs?

I got a hoverbator 1588 and just hatched out six chicks. It was so great! I was glued to the bator window while they hatched... alllll day.

I hope you have a great hatch. I am putting some welsummer and cochin eggs into the incubator again today so I will hatch with ya.
smile.png

Thanks for the best wishes and luck!...

I'm just starting out with my chickens. My dad and I built the coop out of scraps and left overs from other building projects so we don't have a lot invested in it. Plus it was better than throwing out the scraps!

As far as breeds, they will be mixed as I have a mixed flock. 1 Rhode Island red rooster, 6 Buff and 5 Black Orpington, 1 silver Ameraucana (see lays green eggs), 2 Dominique, 3 mixed or unknown. 5 of my birds were given to me by a friend who was having preditor troubles, so I was greatful for the gift. The rooster was a gift too because he just showed up one day and they didn't know how old he was or who he belonged to. The only birds I bought were the 6 buff and 4 black Orpington mature, laying hens. One Black Orpington was one of the hen's offspring. Not sure if she is pure Orpington, but she was a gift.

Wow that sounds like a great mix!!

I hope your hatch goes well. I have to tell you when I saw one pip that was it, I spent the rest of the day with my nose 5 inches from that little window watching them hatch. It was the just to neat.

I cracked one of my eggs last night checking the water in the incubator
hit.gif
now I'm down to 25
hit.gif

My daughter jokingly said "YOU KILLED A CHICK!!" mom->
smack.gif
<- daughter (McNuggetJr)

I need to be more careful!

Last edited:
Welcome to the Newbie club McNugget!!! I am a newbie too and picking up my eggs in less than 6 hours! OMG!!

There are many threads on this forum that have people hatching around March 21-26th. It will be quite the eggciting week
smile.png

Quote:
Cracking eggs happens. Don't beat yourself up!! You never now that could have been one that was not going to develope anyway.

I try and stay calm when I open the bator now because I figure if a hen can get off a nest an hour then me taking 3 minutes instead of 3 seconds will not hurt the eggs.

big_smile.png
Three weeks fly by. Soon enough you will have your nose a few inches from the bator watching your little chicks hatch if all goes well!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom