Newbie to Muscovies

ewohl

Chirping
Apr 20, 2015
MI
Hi, I have just gotten my first three Muscovies and I have three Mallard type farm ducks, two hens and a drake of each type. We are raising the Muscovies for meat and the Mallard types for eggs and meat. And for fun! My three kids love collecting the eggs every morning, changing their wading pool water and letting them out of the coop each morning. I bought all of the ducks from local farmers who were selling their excess adult stock.

I have a question--how long will the Muscovy eggs be fertile after we moved the ducks from the drake? The drake on their first farm was a very dominate breeder, and my drake... has no idea what he is doing, although he has been trying to mate the ducks. The farmer told me they were young (less than a year) but the ducks are laying and the drake has the right idea but the wrong end of his lady friends. Do I just have a crazy drake, or will he figure it out as he matures? I thought about leaving the eggs in hopes that one of the Muscovies would go broody, but I got them on Sunday (two days ago) and don't know how long their eggs will be fertile.

You have some good questions for duck people. Unfortunately I don't have any. Go to the "Other Backyard Poultry" forum above and you will find duck threads. The people there should be able to answer for questions and any other you have regarding them. Good luck

Hi! I've had muscovies, and my uncle has them too, Generally The eggs will be fertile for about a moth after separating the females from the drake, your drake will probably figure it out as he gets older. By the way water from a duck pool is some awesome plant fertilizer.

Back
Top Bottom