Newbie! Wanting to sell eggs

I would like to have your luck 🤣 .
I don’t know... they might not be that great of quality. We’ll see!! They hatched and I wasn’t sure if it was normal for he breed but they were nearly bald! They didn’t fluff out like every other chick I’ve ever owed. They looked like they’d been used as a chew toy. I’m just not super impressed. 😂 I thought about blow drying them but kind of hated to go that far just for fluff.

I just know very little about them. And can’t find anyone who does!

I sell EE and OE chicks for $4 each. Eggs are $1.50 per egg. What you can sell them for really depends on your local market.

To get sort of an idea what those chicks could go for, I made a list of prices that the major hatcheries sell those breeds for, then averaged the prices. The average price for EEs was $3.56 unsexed and OEs were $5.68 unsexed.

From my understanding they’re from a show quality line? However I wasn’t aware Ayams could be shown.
There are no show quality ACs. To be show quality, a breed must have a standard recognized by the APA. Ayam Cemanis don't have that. There are a lot of non-standard breed classes at shows, but an Ayam Cemani winning in those doesn't make it more show quality than a barn mix.

There are definitely quality ACs, but anyone trying to sell them as "show quality" is lying.

I don’t know... they might not be that great of quality. We’ll see!! They hatched and I wasn’t sure if it was normal for he breed but they were nearly bald! They didn’t fluff out like every other chick I’ve ever owed. They looked like they’d been used as a chew toy. I’m just not super impressed. 😂 I thought about blow drying them but kind of hated to go that far just for fluff.

I just know very little about them. And can’t find anyone who does!
Short chick down is normal for Ayam Cemanis. Fibro breeds naturally carry a gene that shortens chick fluff. A fluffy AC chick would be the poor quality one.

I sell EE and OE chicks for $4 each. Eggs are $1.50 per egg. What you can sell them for really depends on your local market.

To get sort of an idea what those chicks could go for, I made a list of prices that the major hatcheries sell those breeds for, then averaged the prices. The average price for EEs was $3.56 unsexed and OEs were $5.68 unsexed.

There are no show quality ACs. To be show quality, a breed must have a standard recognized by the APA. Ayam Cemanis don't have that. There are a lot of non-standard breed classes at shows, but an Ayam Cemani winning in those doesn't make it more show quality than a barn mix.

There are definitely quality ACs, but anyone trying to sell them as "show quality" is lying.
Okay... this is what I thought. So I’m not sure what kind of quality I have. I’ll have to post them in a few weeks/months so you guys can tell me. I definitely don’t want to breed and sell low quality to scam people if they’re looking for something specific.

One factor you need to think about is that hatching eggs and baby chicks both have an expiration date. After more than a few days I'd sell hatching eggs as eating eggs (after 10 minutes in some hot water and a good wash). You want customers to have the best chance for a successful hatch you can give them. There are enough people selling eggs that if your eggs don't work for someone you're probably not going to sell more to that person or her Facebook friends.. And if you can sell baby chicks that are two weeks old you're not going to be able to sell them for enough more to pay your feed costs, especially the roosters. People buy chicks as much for the experience of raising them as they do because they want chickens.

I think you figured out fair pricing and as long as things are moving out the door fine. But it's probably a good idea to develop a network of potential customers you might want to offer a deal. How good a deal will depend on how desperate you are to get chicks out of your brooder. But the main consideration is these people aren't likely to be returning customers next year unless they failed at raising chicks when they bought from you but were happy anyway. Do what you can to help them succeed and they should recognize the added value. Chicken math will do the rest.

One factor you need to think about is that hatching eggs and baby chicks both have an expiration date. After more than a few days I'd sell hatching eggs as eating eggs (after 10 minutes in some hot water and a good wash). You want customers to have the best chance for a successful hatch you can give them. There are enough people selling eggs that if your eggs don't work for someone you're probably not going to sell more to that person or her Facebook friends.. And if you can sell baby chicks that are two weeks old you're not going to be able to sell them for enough more to pay your feed costs, especially the roosters. People buy chicks as much for the experience of raising them as they do because they want chickens.

I think you figured out fair pricing and as long as things are moving out the door fine. But it's probably a good idea to develop a network of potential customers you might want to offer a deal. How good a deal will depend on how desperate you are to get chicks out of your brooder. But the main consideration is these people aren't likely to be returning customers next year unless they failed at raising chicks when they bought from you but were happy anyway. Do what you can to help them succeed and they should recognize the added value. Chicken math will do the rest.
All of this is great!! It sounds terrifying though! But all good things to think about!

If it were me I'd keep the trio, as a breeding group to sell chicks.

Ayam Cemani don't really seem like they need any special care, unlike a regular chicken.
How do they look? I feel like my roosters beak has leakage? I have no idea what kind of quality I have.

Attachments

• 3144E33C-7D60-4FDC-AA94-3BA6493F968B.jpeg
    3144E33C-7D60-4FDC-AA94-3BA6493F968B.jpeg
    496.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 3C14EAEA-7022-46B8-800B-E8BB44DAF7E4.jpeg
    3C14EAEA-7022-46B8-800B-E8BB44DAF7E4.jpeg
    671.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 9F7703A8-CC1E-40B2-A45F-62A82C70DDB0.jpeg
    9F7703A8-CC1E-40B2-A45F-62A82C70DDB0.jpeg
    464.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 64F82E07-D1DE-4BE7-9A2F-4EF013130296.jpeg
    64F82E07-D1DE-4BE7-9A2F-4EF013130296.jpeg