Newbie: What type of chickens do I have here?

jj384ev

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Wichita, Kansas
1. (First few pics)---females? I was told these two were Buff Orpingtons. The larger one is about 4 1/2 weeks old, but she seems quite a bit different in coloring then the buff pics of seen of similar age. Are both of these babies Buffs? Also, one has its wing feather turning outward. Will this affect her at all?

2. I know this pic is a Barred Rock. Pretty sure its a female?

3. (about 2 weeks old)--female? I was told this was a Barred, but I think its actually a Black Star? Its quite a bit smaller then all the others.

3. Im pretty positive these two are Rhode Island Whites. They are close to 3weeks old.Both females?

I just need to make sure they all are heavier and really hearty cold weather breeds, that was my intent.

Last edited:
Well, I can't help with a lot of them, but I can tell you that the top two aren't buff orpingtons. The one with her feathers turning outward is a frizzle.

Welcome to BYC!!!:) Those cute chicks are all pretty young to tell the gender but from right now I'd say girls. The top chicks are not buff orps. Maybe RIR or red sex links??

Thanks for the help so far! I think they are all girls mostly. I just wish I could figure out those top 2. The larger one looked exactly like the little one when we got her. I think I'm right on all the other breeds though! Any idea if the "frizzle" affects them negatively at all?

I also am unsure what the small black chick is. I'm almost positive its not a Barred because it doesn't look like my larger barred did at that age but does have a dark beak and dark feet on top. Any help with the top two or the little black on one the breed is appreciated!

I've got a bantam cochin frizzle and she does just fine. She's just not as good a flyer as other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom