Newbie with a question about open sore on the head of an Indian Runner duckling

Witchazel

In the Brooder
May 9, 2015
Hi Guys,

I woke up with morning to find one of the bigger ducklings with a sore? wound? on his head and I could use your expertise as to what might be causing it. I don't know if he scratched it or if another duck pecked at him but I'd like to know so I can get him better. Do ducks get fleas? I haven't seen any, nor have I seen excessive scratching by any of them so I don't think it's that. He's the biggest (slightly) of the group and therefore the elected leader of the pack so would another duck have pecked at him and caused that? Any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

No they don't get fleas. All birds are susceptible to mites but if they are healthy enough to preen and bathe they wont get infested. Ducks are inquisitive, they stick their heads in all kinds of spots looking for tasty treats! Also you say he's boss duck, most likely to be the first to explore an area. I'm guessing he stuck his head in somewhere. A little salt water wash a few times a day will help to start, and check out his area to try and figure where he might have hurt himself.

No they don't get fleas. All birds are susceptible to mites but if they are healthy enough to preen and bathe they wont get infested. Ducks are inquisitive, they stick their heads in all kinds of spots looking for tasty treats! Also you say he's boss duck, most likely to be the first to explore an area. I'm guessing he stuck his head in somewhere. A little salt water wash a few times a day will help to start, and check out his area to try and figure where he might have hurt himself.
No fleas- check and thanks. They do preen and their nesting spot right now is in the garage which means it gets cleaned on a daily basis and they get a chance to bathe every day so hopefully it's not mites. Perhaps he got his head stuck or scraped it somewhere around his area so I'll look around and see what I can find. Thank you so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom