Newbie with rescue chickens, any idea on breeds?

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Some I am confident on but these are just my best guesses, as I'm always learning something new.

1. RIR.

2. Black sex link cockerel or barred rock. (I haven't fully figured out how to differentiate those two) Cuckoo Marans is ruled out by the yellow legs, Dominique ruled out by comb type.

3. Rhode Island Red
4. Light Brahma
5. Non bearded white Silkie
6. Australorp
7. red sex link cockerel??
8. Easter Egger perhaps
9. Buff Orpington

Most appear quite young still.. Male specific pointy saddle and hackle feather start to appear around 12 week and usually quite discernible by 16 weeks old.
View attachment 3165387View attachment 3165390

With guess the breed/gender being one of the best games there is.. I suspect you will still get plenty more feedback!

FWIW.. despite the seemingly terrible conditions you describe.. these birds all look really good. Most show birds are kept in cages especially when being conditioned for show during show season. People who don't understand or haven't faced specific farming type issues may not get why certain things are done certain ways. Maybe lose a little of the judgement as too their "poor" conditions? Thank you for having compassion both towards the birds and also toward their previous keeper! ;)

Best wishes on your new adventure! :wee
Thank you so much for your help! I knew I could get some good info on this site. I would never judge someone without full information. These birds were kept in cages too small for them and were packed in. Most of them looked pretty bad when my friend got them a couple weeks ago, covered in urine and feces. She actually had to have about 10 put down as they were in terrible shape and had leg deformities due to the cramped living conditions. We are just glad we could give some of them a good home and add to our flock and knowledge 😊

Most of them looked pretty bad when my friend got them a couple weeks ago
Well, they look great now with you then. (2 weeks makes a huge difference at that age, sorry for my misunderstanding) :highfive:

Thankfully the prior keeper was able to accept the help from your friend. She (your friend) sounds like a brave soul.. give her a hug for me and thank her for being strong.

Were you able to help the others at all with SPCA or other no kill shelters, sanctuary, facebook groups, or other resources like the rehoming section on here pr even the "where am I where are you" type state or region specific threads? (If that keeper was still workable or still could use help)

RE: #6.. I see someone posted they think Sapphire gem.. I did question if that one was blue and considered it as another option. :pop

Well, they look great now with you then. (2 weeks makes a huge difference at that age, sorry for my misunderstanding) :highfive:

Thankfully the prior keeper was able to accept the help from your friend. She (your friend) sounds like a brave soul.. give her a hug for me and thank her for being strong.

Were you able to help the others at all with SPCA or other no kill shelters, sanctuary, facebook groups, or other resources like the rehoming section on here pr even the "where am I where are you" type state or region specific threads? (If that keeper was still workable or still could use help)

RE: #6.. I see someone posted they think Sapphire gem.. I did question if that one was blue and considered it as another option. :pop
So far the rest are staying with my friend. She gave some to a few friends that had flocks and which ever ones were not taken were going to stay with her. She has her own flock so she will integrate whoever is left over :)

Back
Top Bottom