Newbie wondering about my birds-feathers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by max13077, Oct 19, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've noticed recently that some of my chickens are losing feathers near the base of their tails. I thought at first it was picking by other birds. However it's happened to almost all of them and a couple are just about bare. Any ideas?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

How old are they?

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    There are two possibilites: 1. Do you have a roo? If so then your roo may be mating them too much. 2. They could be in the middle of molting.

4. max13077

They're about 8 months old. I do have a roo, but I introduced him only a couple weeks ago. They were already losing them then.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Hmmmm. They shouldn't be molting yet. Have you noticed any adverse behavior from any of them?

6. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Have you checked for mites in the coop?

7. max13077

They don't seem to be acting any different than normal. Nothing I've noticed anyway.

I haven't check for mites. What should I look for? How do I treat them if they in fact do have them?

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Watch for head-scratching, excessive preening, hens pulling feathers out whole, excessive dustbathing. Look for "dirt" at the base of the comb in the creases, around ears, eyes, gathered in a ring around the legs where the feathers end on the legs, around the vent. Wear light enough clothing while holding/carrying/cuddling your birds and you may see this "dirt" move on you!! Scrape some of the "dirt" with half an white index card and pinpoints of "dirt" may move on the card. (Makes me itchy just writing about it!! [​IMG])

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  9. max13077

How do I get rid of them if they are in fact there? I have noticed the birds dustbathing a lot...:|

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by