DHMilburn

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2018
My wife and I just moved from the City to the Country. Finally get a chance to have some chickens without too much red tape.

I've bought my 'coup' from Tractor Supply Mail Order for about $150. It still needs to be assembled. Right now, I plan on getting 5 chicks in the next few weeks. I will keep them in a shed until my chicken yard is ready. I'm very excited about having eggs to share with friends and family by the end of the summer. Also starting bees :}

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

CURRENT COOP CONTEST click here >>#1

The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

welcome egg 100 farmer connie.gif
:frow

Greetings and welcome to BYC! So glad you joined us. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

I hate to tell you this but those prefab coops from TSC and the like are really sub par quality wise, very much over priced, and grossly overstate the number of birds they will comfortably hold. Large fowl birds really should have 4 sqft/bird inside the coop and 10 sqft/bird in the run, minimum. If you got the coop I think you got, it's really only good for 2 birds, 3 max. It's really only good for temp use for quarantine or a brooding hen etc. sorry... :oops:

Oh, if you haven't done so already, PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me :old will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

G’Day from down under DHMilburn :frow Welcome and Congratulations on your new home and lifestyle! :clap

Sorry to say that I agree with Latestarter in that the prefab kit coops usually only accommodate half or less than what they are advertising and the design usually is flawed to the point that I wonder if the people who designed them have actually seen a chicken. One of your bee hives would probably be more comfortable for your chickens :p This article may be of interest to you: How Much Room Do Chickens Need

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has a Learning Centre and also Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. These two in particular may be of assistance to you at this stage:
Topic of the Week - Getting Started, Keeping Chickens
Topic of the Week - Keeping the Flock Safe from Predators

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Best wishes and good luck!

:welcome

As other greeters have said, the number of birds a coop is best for is usually over-stated on the pre-fabs. If you can tell us the dimensions, we could give you a better "occupancy" rate. When chickens are overcrowded they get cranky and will hurt each other squabbling for more space.

Back
Top Bottom