Srgra237

In the Brooder
May 23, 2018
New to the chicken game. Not by choice. My childhood home is a rental house now and when I evicted the tenants....I inherited a 2 hens a rooster and 14 baby chics!!!
I absolutely love them....I have had them for about 4 weeks. Built a pen, fed them treats, dug for worms for them and loved on them like they were family.....
Went to feed them this morning and Satan himself obviously got in my pen last night and tore my baby chicks apart!! Been crying all morning but now IT'S WAR TIME!
I'm going to buy a trap and catch whatever killed my baby chics.....guaranteed!!!
THIS MAMA BIRD just when from sad to mad in a matter of 2 hours and before it's all over Ill be GLAD once I catch whatever it was.
What should I put in my trap for bait?? And don't say the hen lol

Good luck protecting your little friends. Also, please read about how to predator-proof your coop/run to avoid such problems in the future. Many critters prey on chicken, so it is up to you to provide the best environment possible.

Hi and sorry for you loss,

How did it get at you birds? Did it dig under a fence? Or some other way?

Of course you need different baits for different creatures. Which make figuring out the culprit a necessary step. Or at least narrowing down the list.

Maybe, someone else will have an idea.

New to the chicken game. Not by choice. My childhood home is a rental house now and when I evicted the tenants....I inherited a 2 hens a rooster and 14 baby chics!!!
I absolutely love them....I have had them for about 4 weeks. Built a pen, fed them treats, dug for worms for them and loved on them like they were family.....
Went to feed them this morning and Satan himself obviously got in my pen last night and tore my baby chicks apart!! Been crying all morning but now IT'S WAR TIME!
I'm going to buy a trap and catch whatever killed my baby chics.....guaranteed!!!
THIS MAMA BIRD just when from sad to mad in a matter of 2 hours and before it's all over Ill be GLAD once I catch whatever it was.
What should I put in my trap for bait?? And don't say the hen lol
some kind of meat, I have trapped at least 15 Ferrell cats out of more than 50 they went after 1/2 hotdog sliced more than tuna. if you have not purchased your trap yet don't buy the smallest one. depending on where u live it could be a fox. do u know how the perp access your cook.

Hi and sorry for you loss,

How did it get at you birds? Did it dig under a fence? Or some other way?

Of course you need different baits for different creatures. Which make figuring out the culprit a necessary step. Or at least narrowing down the list.

Maybe, someone else will have an idea.
The guy up the street said something got his last week so I don't know. We used poultry fencing and covered the top. Looks like some digging did happen on the ground along the edges that I didn't notice yesterday. The hen survived and she was walking around this morning. I'm willing to put any bait I just need some ideas. We live in a neighborhood so I'm thinking either cat or raccoon probably. TY

Welcome to byc. Very unfortunate situation. The young ones are on the extreme bottom of the food chain unfortunately. Very helpless to any number of predators because of their size.
It is time to evaluate the security of your housing. If you were to post some pictures of your set up, I'm sure numerous members will help with finding improvements to help protect your birds from the return of whatever has stumbled upon your flock.​

Welcome to byc. Very unfortunate situation. The young ones are on the extreme bottom of the food chain unfortunately. Very helpless to any number of predators because of their size.
It is time to evaluate the security of your housing. If you were to post some pictures of your set up, I'm sure numerous members will help with finding improvements to help protect your birds from the return of whatever has stumbled upon your flock.​
Sure thing. These predators are something serious, I had no idea. The 2nd hen and the rooster are still at the other house because I think she is sitting on eggs so I didn't want to bring him so he could protect her. They are just free ranging in the country. I built this coop that got attacked(first build). I think I'm just gonna go and buy a coop until I get this chicken thing down pat. I am so upset about my baby chics I'm ready to put one of my cameras and a trap.... this predator has got to go lol

Back
Top Bottom