Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Knuckleballer25, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Knuckleballer25

Knuckleballer25 In the Brooder

Jun 15, 2019
    Hi!

Brand new to Raising any type of bird.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get
    chickens?

We got our first baby ducks this March and our Guineas came in May.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    We started out with seven ducks, then we added 4 more, and then I added 3 more, so we ended up with 14. We added 10 Guineas to the mix. However we lost a few in the beginning when they first went outside to their new barn. We have two left! Unfortunately one of the females refused to go inside so all but two followed her. There’s some very large hawks and eagles that frequent the backyard. I have a feeling they helped themselves to my guineas. I think we have two males left.

(3) What breeds do you have?
    Ducks-2 blue Indian Runners, 1 black Indian runner, 2 khaki Campbells, 4 welsh Harlequin, and 5 Cayuga.
    The two Guineas are just the regular ones.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
    I LOVE watching my ducks play. They’re so funny and each one has a unique personality. Their eggs are delicious too! We got the Guineas to help with bugs and to keep predators away. The last two are fun to watch-not very bright but funny!
    (5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Guns, riding four wheelers, cars, work, anything outside.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Married, three dogs ranging from 125lbs to 5lbs. I own a company that provides services to individuals who have disabilities. Our friends make jokes and call our home Ducking-ham Palace. They all think I like my ducks more than my husband or the dogs! ....May or may not be true!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I joined because I finally took the plunge and bought some ducks and Guineas! I had read for awhile the threads on here before I ever purchase my flock. I found BYC through google.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens. So sorry you lost some guineas. They have a mind(?) of their own. I've read some folks have been able to get them to come back to the coop at dusk. But most seem to roost on roof or trees.

3. slordaz

slordaz Crowing

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    welcome to BYC, don't have much experience with the ones you have but there is a whle section dedicated to other types of birds

4. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens it be hard to loose birds I am sorry you have please enjoy the time here

5. Eggscaping

Eggscaping Enjoying Life!

Dec 4, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

6. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

7. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
  8. Claires Poultry

Claires Poultry Free Ranging

Mar 24, 2019
    Beach, ND
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :welcome
    We're so glad to have you here with us! :ya
    Thank you for joining our wonderful community of fellow poultry enthusiasts! :)
    :wee

9. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

10. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Sorry to hear you lost most of your guineas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: