Newbie!

Sarabear

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 30, 2013
We got our very first chickens in March so they are now around 3 months old. We weren't expecting any eggs for a few more weeks but have found 3 Americana eggs so far....must have some happy girls! They are pretty small now (golf ball size) but I'm guessing they will get bigger as the chickens get older. I'm very happy that I stumbled across this very informational website!! Looking forward to talking "chicken" with other people who have chickens and don't think I'm crazy for this new hobby. My young kiddos (5 & 7) LOVE the chickens and especially now that they are starting to lay eggs they really enjoy checking the coop & run for any new eggs!

Greetings from Kansas, Sara Bear, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased to have you aboard! Congrats on those first eggs! Good luck and have fun!!

Welcome to BYC!!
yippiechickie.gif
from Spokane Washington. Yes, my experience is that the first eggs that the hens lay are considerably smaller when they first start laying until the hens get a bit older. I remember by Black Sex Link hens first eggs were about the size of a quarter and the first ones I found were smashed on the floor of the chicken coop. It appeared that they were laying in their sleep from their roost. Once then got the hang of the nest boxes, they began laying bigger and bigger eggs. within a few weeks, the hens were laying large brown eggs and each hen was laying an egg per day. My favorite laying hens are the sex links (black, red and golden) They are super egg layers and they are hardy hens which handle the cold and snow of eastern Washington well. I am trying a different breed this year to add to my broode. My husband wanted some Speckled Sussex hens. We bought 5 chicks and one turned out to be the cutest little rooster I have ever seen. I need to update my pictures.

Have fun with your chicken girls!
Chicken Girl Sue
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom