lakelyzard

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 11, 2014
I am new and have a lot of questions. I have 5 silver laced wyndottes that are about 7 months old. One of them started laying eggs a few days ago. She only lays 1 every other day is that normal. They are really small but I am sure that changes with age. Could use some advise

Welcome to BYC! Some hens lay more than others, productive breeds lay nearly every day, some types lay about 5 eggs a week, others lay every other day, and some you will be lucky to get even one egg a week. I do not have experience with this breed, but I do not recall them generally being called a top producer.

The first eggs a hen lays are called "pullet eggs" and are typically quite small. The same hen will lay much larger eggs in just a few weeks. Also, younger hens might lay "weird" eggs until they are older, check out this article: Weird and Wonderful Eggs.

As you can see I have Silver laced wynndottes to and I think they are one of the best breeds ever!! I'm so glad you joined! Feel free to ask questions if you need help! and again
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Egg production varies with each individual hen. Your less productive hen is probably "normal" for her, though she may be different than your other birds. And it is normal for first eggs to be small. In most cases, egg size increases as hens get older and go through some molts.

Good luck with your chickens!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Not all chickens lay everyday. Some can lay daily, some every other day and some even a couple times a week. Also, new layers need to get their egg laying machines in gear yet. As they grow in this next year, they can lay more frequent. We are all going into winter as well. As the daylight declines, so can the egg laying until spring.

Enjoy your new flock and welcome to ours!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I've had Silver Laced Wyandottes, and averaged out, I would say that an egg every other day is pretty typically. Mine usually layed 3 (sometimes 4) eggs per week per hen. As far as size goes, as BantamLover21 said, the eggs will get larger as the hen matures. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting those eggs.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

You've received some good advice above. My Silver Laced Wyandotte usually lays about 5 eggs a week in the summertime, dropping to 3 or so a week in the winter (except when she's molting).

Back
Top Bottom