hello, from Brockway mi

I am a newbie to raising chicks, I believe my chicks are about two weeks old, when can I put them in their coop? worried it's still to cold :(
For me, it's usually 6-8 weeks, sometimes a little less in the summer. If they are mostly feathered out by 6 weeks, I have more than 10 chicks, and the lows at night aren't below 50, I will put them outside

I'm new too and my chicks are also about 2 weeks old it's been cold at night here 30's so I'm thinking a few weeks hopefully by Mothers Day.

Last edited:
are you keeping yours in your house? spare room or basement?
I'm not sure which one of us you are talking to, but this is how my setup usually goes. I keep them in the house for the first week or 2, depending on outside temperature and how many chicks I have. The dust and fluff really starts getting bad when they are big enough to start scooting around. That brooder has a plate heater in it. From there, they move to one of the outside brooders, which are bigger, and have an upstairs to teach them to start using a ramp. These brooders have lamps in the winter and plates in the summer. I believe being outside in cooler weather promotes faster feathering. You will be surprised how much cool weather they can handle. I build the brooders big enough to have a dedicated warm space, and space to get away from the heat. After they are about 3 weeks old, the only time you will see them under the light is at night. They stay in these brooders until 6-8 weeks old, depending on feathering and outdoor temperatures. Then they are ready for the grow-out coop

Last edited:
I've got mine in my sunroom which has a gas fireplace as a heat source so I've been able keep the room warm they have a heat lamp. It's hard to regulate the temperature I've got a thermometer not directly under the lamp and it's been down to 74(on a really cold night) I just keep checking them and lowered the light. If they are all huddled under the light I know there cold but most of the time they sprall out all over the place.
are you keeping yours in your house? spare room or basement?

Back
Top Bottom