Newbie's chicken tractor (with pics)

cjstanman

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Just north of Raleigh
Hurray, it's done! (Well, just need to put the wheels on, but I'd call it 98% there.) I'm a first-time chicken owner with 6 BR chicks that are a week old. All are fine, growing like weeds and acting goofy, ha ha!

My idea was to have a portable chicken coop/tractor that I could move around my yard. We have 15 acres, 4 of which is cleared. I wanted to be able to move it either by myself or with help, and so far, so good. About half of the wood I was able to salvage from work at no cost; the rest, like sheets of plywood, we bought.

Plans are from Mother Earth News "mini coop" but I'm also a first-time builder and let's just say I learned a lot.
tongue.png
I did keep track of everything so I could put together a bill of materials if anyone's interested, plus I have more pictures at various stages of building. I'm very open to comments and feedback since this is all new to me.

Thanks for this forum - it's a *wealth* of information! --Jan

First pic was before side walls were installed. Chicken enclosure is on the left, chicken run on the grass is on the right. Both ends of the ark open up with hinged triangle doors. Whole thing sits solid on the ground and is either enclosed or has 1/2" hardware cloth to protect from predators. I also built a couple of nest boxes (not shown) from leftover scraps.

IMG_1074.jpg

Second pic is same thing with side walls installed and door closed.

IMG_1081.jpg

P.S. My plan is to end up with three hens (I think 6 is too many to stuff in there) but right now I have a straight run and no clue as to how many boys and girls. I was also advised to buy more chicks since you typically lose one or two along the way, so we'll see how it all works out.

Last edited:
Wow - looks super to me! Can't wait to see it with the wheels on. I think 3 hens would be more than happy in it, maybe even 4, depending on their temperaments.

Hope your chicks all do OK. I got 10 a few weeks ago and they are all coming on terrifically well. Don't count on losing any!! LOL!

This is how my double decker condo got started. Built an ark and then wanted something self contained.... The "ark" part on top just sits on the bottom level. They can be taken apart for easy mobility...

11916_coop.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
PouletsDeCajun, would LOVE to see more pics of your chicken tractor. That thing is awesome!! I love the idea of a double decker arrangement that can be taken apart. So many more options that way. Super smart!

Do you have any pics of the construction process, or what it ended up costing, material wise?

Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom