Newbies seeking any and all help!!

I suppose that seems easy enough! That decision will definitely come on how soon we plan to get the chickens. If it ends up being a next spring deal, then I think that might not be a bad roof style to consider. Thank you for sharing that link. I like that it gives you step-by-step instructions while giving you some tips on what to look out for. I hadn't heard of that before you posted on here, it's definitely an interesting option!
thumbsup.gif

My husband built these coops from Pallet Coop plans we purchased online $9 and free discarded material, pallets heck he even reused the nails - A scout is thrifty and My son and Husband are both Eagle Scouts

Paint whatever you build from wood - Protects the wood from damage and wear. Oops paint is great
use vinyl flooring on floor so clean up is easy.

Think about how you will clean and access inside for deep cleaning because - you need to deep clean it from time to time at least yearly and access can be a huge pain. back pain or awkward contortions to clean it so either make a wall into a removable panel or big doors so you can open it up and hose it out.

I put my coops on silts because I do not like having to lean over to scrub or hose out.

Think about the security of your chickens because raccoons, foxes, opossums, dogs, cats - hawks taking out chickens is heart breaking,

Think about air flow. Frost in winter is BAD good airflow prevents frost. Drafts are bad.

Roosts need to be wide enough so that when they roost they cover their toesies

To much heat in summer is BAD poop build up plus heat is BAD ammonia build up can kill your chickens. You need a way to keep them cool if they have to be in a hot area.

Snakes, rats, mice and other icky annoying creatures are not good so find ways to keep food and egg boxes up and out of way but accessible to chickens to use.

Convenient way to keep your chickens with clean fresh water that is easy for you to keep it clean and refilled. The easier it is for you the more likely you will always make it clean and refilled with fresh water - I know that sounds lame but figure on the days when it is bad weather or hot or you have the flu - what would be the least inconvenient so that you will do the job. I had a coop where I had to climb into it on my belly to reach the waterer and feeder. When I built that coop I thought nothing about it - then I was home alone for a week and had the flu. I was so sick and I had to find alternate ways to do the job. When my husband came home, his honey do list had build a more realistic coop for care and keeping of chickens. Our coops are not cute but caring and keeping the chickens now is more convenient and the chickens like it too.

Caroline

Last edited:
Those coops are awesome! I had never once considered using this pallets. That's going to be our new mission, to find those pallets and build a much more affordable coop. Thank you for sharing your advice and photos. I think this will definitely give us something to go on! You have no idea how much help this is! :D

Back
Top Bottom